Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Shrimp or Cory? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/shrimp-cory-53158/)

car0linab0y 10-06-2010 09:47 PM

Shrimp or Cory?

Looking for somebody to keep this fuzz off of my plant leaves. Are shrimp any good for cleaning plants, and would they make it in a tank w/swordtails, mollies, and rosy barbs, or would they be an expensive snack? And what colors do cories come in? I need something in my tank to be a color other than orange or yellow lol.

aunt kymmie 10-07-2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car0linab0y (Post 487462)
Looking for somebody to keep this fuzz off of my plant leaves. Are shrimp any good for cleaning plants, and would they make it in a tank w/swordtails, mollies, and rosy barbs, or would they be an expensive snack? And what colors do cories come in? I need something in my tank to be a color other than orange or yellow lol.

You can always go to our Tropical Fish Profiles (top of the page, tab that is over to the left) to see all the various specie of cories. Shrimp, IME, are tasty snacks for nearly every fish in the tank. Unless they are the BIG variety of shrimp. I keep RCS and they are in a tank all to themselves. I once had a betta pick off 20 RCS juvies in under one hour. Needless to say he was removed before he was able to decimate the entire lot.

sik80 10-07-2010 05:47 AM

i reckon some large amano shrimp would be fine with the fish you have- they grow to 1.5-2 inches long. They are very good cleaners though I've found they do nibbble on soft leaved plants a little if you have live plants

catfishtabbi 10-11-2010 07:03 PM

I added a golden algea eater to a somewhat dirty tank and in the morning it was spotless!I noticed this fish cleaning up and down my subulata leaves and everything else too, since i added him my tank has no algea and my plants and floor are spotless!Nice looking fish too!Peaceful as well.

car0linab0y 10-11-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catfishtabbi (Post 490672)
I added a golden algea eater to a somewhat dirty tank and in the morning it was spotless!I noticed this fish cleaning up and down my subulata leaves and everything else too, since i added him my tank has no algea and my plants and floor are spotless!Nice looking fish too!Peaceful as well.

Is that the actual species name? I don't see them in the profiles. I have ABN plecos right now, and I swear all they do is poop.

catfishtabbi 10-12-2010 12:47 AM

I don"t know that the profiles here portray them but you can find them everywhere for around $4.00 they"re similar to a pleco in a couple ways however they're not as shy, active allday and i found they're better cleaners they don't eat the plants.They stay small as well and produce much less waste.

kitten_penang 10-12-2010 06:12 AM

try ottos they are great cuc. and theres a lot of variety of cory's just visit the lfs to see what they have in stock. they range from a few dollars to 400 per tail

spike0544 10-13-2010 08:38 PM

I just added a shoal of sterbai corys and I am loving them. They seem to be much more active than my pandas.

kitten_penang 10-15-2010 11:07 AM

pandas seem shy.i dont know why

sik80 10-15-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 492990)
pandas seem shy.i dont know why

yeah, mine seem to swim away quickly if i walk near the tank - even with lots of hiding places, plants and shade