Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Help w/arrangement (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/help-w-arrangement-53153/)

car0linab0y 10-06-2010 07:59 PM

Help w/arrangement
 
Time to finalize some plant locations before I add my foreground. Right now I have hygro along the back of the tank, and wisteria just to the front of it. I'm thinking of doing a half-circle kind of to hide the edges of the tank & equipment and have a large opening in the center. Should I:
A. place the hygro along the outsides and wisteria in the center?
B. mix the hygro & wisteria?
C. have hygro on one side and wisteria on the other?
foreground plant will more than likely be pygmy chain sword, but I'm open to suggestions as long as they spread quickly through runners and don't require added CO2.
Community Tank - 65 gallon Freshwater fish tank
The large hygro in the pic was thinned out during wc last night. Cut off 3 side stems and re-planted them in the right hand corner.

Byron 10-06-2010 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wisteria will grow thick and long, and if allowed to, completely cover this tank in a matter of weeks once it is established. I attach a photo of my former 70g as illustration; the Wisteria is around the tank sides and back. Problem is, when this occurs light has more trouble reaching the lower parts of the stems and the leaves may either develop differently (if lucky) or die off completely (as occurred in this tank after about 8 months). This photo was taken on Sep 8, 2009, just one month after the tank was set up; by late Spring this year, the Wisteria was a mess, due to my failure to keep it pruned weekly.

car0linab0y 10-06-2010 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 487433)
Wisteria will grow thick and long, and if allowed to, completely cover this tank in a matter of weeks once it is established. I attach a photo of my former 70g as illustration; the Wisteria is around the tank sides and back. Problem is, when this occurs light has more trouble reaching the lower parts of the stems and the leaves may either develop differently (if lucky) or die off completely (as occurred in this tank after about 8 months). This photo was taken on Sep 8, 2009, just one month after the tank was set up; by late Spring this year, the Wisteria was a mess, due to my failure to keep it pruned weekly.

So assuming I can get my wisteria to grow like it's supposed to (remember my recent CO2? post), how about wisteria in the corners and hygro along the edges? I'll be using two separate fixtures, so that should help with light reaching the lower leaves.

Byron 10-07-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by car0linab0y (Post 487449)
So assuming I can get my wisteria to grow like it's supposed to (remember my recent CO2? post), how about wisteria in the corners and hygro along the edges? I'll be using two separate fixtures, so that should help with light reaching the lower leaves.

Fine. My last post was to point out the thick growth of Wisteria, so you want it back (corners great) rather than forward.

redchigh 10-07-2010 02:49 PM

The bottoms of mine are always bare.. The reason it gets on my nerves is that it grows toward the light and spreads out- may or may not be straight up.

One solution is to let the hygro get shaded and drop leaves on the bottom- Just have some shorter stems a couple inches in the front to hide the bare stems.
I'm afraid of Hygro difformis on CO2... Might grow in inch a day.

car0linab0y 10-07-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 487880)
The bottoms of mine are always bare.. The reason it gets on my nerves is that it grows toward the light and spreads out- may or may not be straight up.

One solution is to let the hygro get shaded and drop leaves on the bottom- Just have some shorter stems a couple inches in the front to hide the bare stems.
I'm afraid of Hygro difformis on CO2... Might grow in inch a day.

Mine started out growing straight up, and as the new leaves came out of the top, all the leaves under that would die off. It looked depressing, like a naked pine tree. Once I cut the upper 2/3 off, the bottoms started to spread. I weighed down the tops I cut off to let them root, but they still want to grow upward instead of spreading.

redchigh 10-07-2010 04:16 PM

That's similiar to what I meant-
I cut the upper 1/3 off and plant it in front to hide the stems.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2