Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   new tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/new-tank-5311/)

Teckenking 04-24-2007 06:25 PM

new tank

Ok I'm gonna start a new ank and I was wondering about any suggestions how I should start it. Like for example is chiclids a good start for a new tank and how much should spend on it in the begining.

Falina 04-24-2007 06:33 PM

I think that in order to advise you on what fish to keep, and how much you should spend we would need a bit more informtaion.

What size of tank do you plan to get?

Are you looking for a community tank or species tank?

Do you have any inclination on what fish you prefer at the moment? Knowing this we can advise you on a tank size and tank mates suitable for this fish, or else we can advise you on alternatives if you can't afford/don't have space for a tank large enough or whatever the conditions might be.

Have you any interest in breeding the fish you decide on?

We'll be happy to help but need more information. :)

Teckenking 04-24-2007 06:38 PM

Well I'll buy whatever size neeed but I have a 25-35 galllon tank so I dont really know if I could get them so I asked. I would breed them they are cool fish chiclids because they have nice colors and can go into a comunity (I think). So what do you think I should do becaise I'll try and gets the things I need.

Falina 04-24-2007 06:49 PM

Some cichlids would happily go in a community tank like blue rams but they are difficult to breed as far as I know. Apistos are easier to breed and are also peaceful. Either would go in a 25-35g.

The only thing I would advise against with the rams however is getting any territorial catfish like synodontis. I recently had to give away my 2 blue rams because they wanted the caves, and the synodontis had already claimed them which meant that the rams resorted to bullying each other, and other fish as they were unable to get their territory.

Depending on how much of a 'community' you wanted; kribs are lovely cichlids. I am receiving my pair on Thursday :D They are quite easy to breed but can be nippy, and agressive while breeding so not a good idea for a community tank.

I definitely do not recommend anything other than dwarf cichlids for a 25-35g tank though.

You say you are willing to get whatever tank size is necessary, which is great and gives you a great deal of choice, especially with cichlids, the only thing is that most of the larger cichlids are not tolerant of other fish and will do well only with larger catfish, or large cichlids so if you want a community tank, go with the tank you've got, and a pair of dwarf cichlids.

Teckenking 04-24-2007 06:56 PM

Thanks I think I'll go with your idea and just upgrade as I go along and get used to taking care of the dwarfs so I can take cae of the bigger ones. Thanks again :D

Falina 04-24-2007 07:21 PM

Sounds like a good idea. The dwarfs, in terms of agression, are easier to take care off. When you do upgrade however, you can't get a much more impressive tank than a tank full of large cichlids.

Good luck to you!

Teckenking 04-25-2007 02:39 PM

Thanks I'm gonna need it :)