Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is my tank crowded? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-crowded-53048/)

johnnyjiron 10-05-2010 10:29 AM

Is my tank crowded?

Hey guys, I wanted to get some bosemani rainbow fish but im not sure if I have room for more fish. Please tell me what you guys think. I have a 55 gallon planted tank.

right now I have: 30 neon tetras
6 harlequin rasboras
1 bristlenose pleco
3 clown loaches
7 otocinclus
6 corydoras
1 siamese algae eater
4 cherry barbs

Thanks,
Johnny

1077 10-05-2010 10:39 AM

Your tank seems fairly well stocked to me ,but that's just my opinion.

aunt kymmie 10-05-2010 10:47 AM

Your tank seems overstocked to me, as far as eventual swimming room and your clown loaches. Clown loaches do best in numers of 5+, and will surely reach at least 8", usually more like 10" to 12", once they are mature. Granted, they do grow slowly after the 6" mark, but it's just something to consider long term.
What happened with your Discus? Do you still have them?

LisaC144 10-05-2010 10:56 AM

If it were me, I would rehome the Clown Loaches for the same reason Kymmie mentioned, and increase your shoal of Cherry Barbs to 7+.

johnnyjiron 10-05-2010 12:17 PM

unfortunately they all died within a year since I got them :cry:. Another thing, I was never able to get all of them to eat flakes or pellets, which I saw it was very important. The ones that ate flakes were growing faster then the other ones that were only eating bloodworm's. Also the ones that were only eating bloodworm's were always sick. As time pass by,all of them wanted to eat bloodworm's only and stopped eating flakes. As for my clown loaches they are only 3 1/2 inches. I might try discus one day but I would start from scratch. How many discus do you have? how big were they when you got them?

Byron 10-05-2010 12:25 PM

I strongly suggest (for the sake of the fish) that you re-home the clown loaches very soon, either to a suitably-sized tank or another aquarist. If you read the profile of the Clown Loach [click on the shaded name] you will note that it needs to be in a group of 5-6 minimum, and in a 6-foot tank. While "small" juveniles can "manage" in smaller tanks, it is only a very temporary measure, and the size of the group is still a significant issue.

Fish grow all their lives, and not only in physical size (externally) but inwardly the organs are developing. When they are in what for them is too small a space, stunting can occur, where the internal development is flawed, as in deformed, and future health problems will occur. Also, their highly evolved social structure means they need to be in a larger group, as explained in the profile.

A quick comment on the discus, fee4ding is critical. Bloodworms should never be the staple food for these fish. I have been maintaining several tanks of fish for more than 15 years, yet I am still not "ready" to try discus; that does not mean someone needs more than 15 years experience, it simply means that I understand the uniquness of this beautiful fish and I have to be prepared to meet its demands.

johnnyjiron 10-05-2010 12:35 PM

When I take out the loaches? can I put some bosemani's ?

Byron 10-05-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 486375)
When I take out the loaches? can I put some bosemani's ?

In looking back over your list, I noticed the Siamese algae eater. This is another fish I would remove. They attain 6 inches and can get territorial, which may cause trouble for your corys. Also, they need a group again, same reasons. [I see we don't have this fish in our profiles, so I will get around to including it.]

So assuming the above, a group of 6 rainbows will work in a 55g (yet another shoaling fish). Requires basic water, will not do well in soft, acidic water, which I mention not knowing your parameters. Yes, these would be nice with what you have (minus the loaches and SAE). A planted tank providing sufficient swimming room (rainbows are active swimmers) would look very lovely, this is a beautiful fish.

aunt kymmie 10-05-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyjiron (Post 486357)
unfortunately they all died within a year since I got them :cry:. Another thing, I was never able to get all of them to eat flakes or pellets, which I saw it was very important. The ones that ate flakes were growing faster then the other ones that were only eating bloodworm's. Also the ones that were only eating bloodworm's were always sick. As time pass by,all of them wanted to eat bloodworm's only and stopped eating flakes. As for my clown loaches they are only 3 1/2 inches. I might try discus one day but I would start from scratch. How many discus do you have? how big were they when you got them?

I have eight Discus, three of them were 3" at purchase, the other five were 4" at purchase. As Byron states, diet is a huge factor in the health of these fish. I would never feed bloodworms, even as a treat, to Discus, though all my other fish get to enjoy them on a weekly basis. I have learned alot along the way and if you're ever ready to try again I'll be happy to share.

For now, as far as rehoming your clowns?? I'm always torn at recommending this, as they will most likely end up in yet another "inappropriate tank". If they stayed with you we could talk you into adding two more, and upgrading to a larger tank. ;-)

johnnyjiron 10-05-2010 01:13 PM

By removing the clown loaches and the Siamese algae eater, then adding the bosemani's. will that affect my plants?