Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   Ancistrus sp. (3) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/ancistrus-sp-3-a-5302/)

Falina 04-24-2007 02:09 PM

Ancistrus sp. (3)

I have heard these can be agressive with their own species. I have also heard that they are very peaceful. Can anyone verify which is true? If they are agressive with their own species, is it only with the same sex?

Thanks.

Mirta 04-24-2007 02:38 PM

ancistrus

Hi!
I can only speak from my experience with them. I had one for more than 13 years! He or she is gone now. When we brought young fishes of the same species to keep him company he at first sort of jumped at them as if he was trying to attack or push them off his favourite place. After some time he calmed down and this behaviour never repeated itself. Those living in the tank now are young and very friendly with each other and other species in the tank.

I have also heard that they are calm, but I still remember how our old one jumped at the newcomers.

Falina 04-24-2007 03:43 PM

Thanks Mirta. I was thinking about getting a pair you see, but didn't want to have them feeling like their territory was threatened.

Falina 04-24-2007 03:44 PM

Quote:

He or she is gone now.
If it had bristles on it's face, it was a he, else, it was a she.

Amphitrite 04-24-2007 04:33 PM

I have two ancistrus sp.3 in my tank which I think are both female. As long as you have plenty of hiding places - there shouldn't really be a problem. Mine have the odd scrap at feeding time - but apart from that, pretty much keep themselves to themselves.

Falina 04-24-2007 04:36 PM

Thanks. I had planned to get a male and a female in the hope that they would breed, thoguh I'm not too sure how likely that is. If they don't breed I'm not too fussed anyway as I really like plecs, and I especially like that these will not outgrow my tank.

Mirta 04-25-2007 03:00 PM

Oh I thought those with bristles are a different species! I currently have one with funny bristles (looking like a swimming brush) and another one with a shaved snout. So should be a girl and a boy... They are very calm, but like veg pellets very much. They have plenty of hiding places but will come out and fuss about a lot looking for algae and pellets. I also like them and am thinking of getting some more. The local pet shop has very tiny ones - looking like pins. I am afraid my elderly angel might mistake them for some dinner course. :?

Falina 04-25-2007 03:18 PM

I've never had angels but hear that they are fry-eating machines, and so probably would eat the tiny ones Mitra. Best be on the safe side and get them at a size that the angel couldn't eat them at :)

Mirta 04-26-2007 02:05 PM

I agree. Once I bought even larger ones and they disappeared in a mysterious way. I can't think of anything else but the angels have swallowed them. And trusted them and thought them to be civilised! I cannot understand to this very day how they could have eaten such hard and rather large babies!