Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   Gourami ID (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/gourami-id-53008/)

Peanut72 10-04-2010 08:21 PM

Gourami ID

Hey guys, can you tell me what Gourami I have here. I picked two of these up the other day from a tank simply named "Assorted Gourami" I didnt ask the poor kid that got them out for me as he didnt seem too personal. Anyway, can someone tell me which ones they are? I was leaning toward Pearls, but 100% sure. The ones pictured in the profiles seem to be a lot more colorful than mine.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i9...m/100_0391.jpg

Thanks
Todd

kitten_penang 10-04-2010 08:45 PM

looks like a pearl =) nice find

Peanut72 10-04-2010 09:41 PM

Thanks Kitten. Thats what I thought but wasnt 100% sure. It looks like someone has been nipping at his fins. Not sure it that happened here or if they were like that from the store. I only got them yesterday and we were in a rush to get out of the store because my wife had to get to work. I watched them yesterday and i never noticed anyone chasing them around. The other Gourami didnt seem to be bothered by them, one was even hanging out with them this afternoon when I got home. Guess I will have to keep a close watch on them and see whats up.

They also had a pair of three spotted that I wanted too. So many fish and I cant have them all.

kitten_penang 10-04-2010 09:55 PM

lol all of us can't get enough of fishes so i know the feeling =)

your new here.did i welcome you to the forum before??

eatmysox 10-04-2010 10:00 PM

+1 on the pearl, its a beautiful fish

Peanut72 10-04-2010 10:37 PM

Thanks eatmysox. I actually got two of them, and they like to hang out together, but as soon as I pulled the camera out they got all camera shy and I couldnt get a pic of them together. Might try again tomorrow before I turn the light out. I turned it back on to get the pic and probably gave em a little spook.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 486044)
lol all of us can't get enough of fishes so i know the feeling =)

your new here.did i welcome you to the forum before??

Yup, even gave me some tips on stocking the tank I do believe. I did however miss the meet the forum thread, and gave my intro in my first post.

Thanks
Todd

kitten_penang 10-04-2010 11:09 PM

=) well then what do you think of this forum?

mdc928 10-04-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut72 (Post 486036)
Thanks Kitten. Thats what I thought but wasnt 100% sure. It looks like someone has been nipping at his fins. Not sure it that happened here or if they were like that from the store. I only got them yesterday and we were in a rush to get out of the store because my wife had to get to work. I watched them yesterday and i never noticed anyone chasing them around. The other Gourami didnt seem to be bothered by them, one was even hanging out with them this afternoon when I got home. Guess I will have to keep a close watch on them and see whats up.

They also had a pair of three spotted that I wanted too. So many fish and I cant have them all.

The part where it looks like his fins have been nipped, is it at the rear of the dorsal and anal fins? If so this is a normal look. I have two and I love these fish. I'm sure I am completely biased because they are what I own but pearls are definately my favorite.

eatmysox 10-05-2010 12:02 AM

that is alright we all are biased. My blood red dwarf is my favorite of all the gouramis I have seen , even posted him in Septembers photo contest sadly got second by only one vote :p

1077 10-05-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut72 (Post 486036)

The Pearl gourami are beautiful fish that are much hardier than some of the dwarf gourami and can live ten years with proper care.
I would be hesitant to place the Three spot gourami in the tank were it me. They can be aggressive with each other and other fishes as well ,especially the males which are most often seen in stores due to their better colors as opposed to the females. Just my two cents.