Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   stocking my 30 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-my-30-gallon-tank-52991/)

jordan25 10-04-2010 02:54 PM

stocking my 30 gallon tank

right now i have a rainbow shark and a tiger barb. I want to add more fish so today, im going to the pet store and i will get 3 bala sharks, but i also want more fish. im still deciding on whether to get more tiger barbs or get some tin foil barbs. i will get a bigger tank when the balas get bigger, but the thing is when the balas grow they might eat the tiger barbs and not the tinfoil barbs. I also was wondering if i go with the tinfoil barbs how many do i get and will they look after the tiger barb since theyre both barbs or will that tiger barb just be doomed. what do you think i should do?
thanks jordan

CaliforniaFishkeeper 10-04-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan25 (Post 485757)
right now i have a rainbow shark and a tiger barb. I want to add more fish so today, im going to the pet store and i will get 3 bala sharks, but i also want more fish. im still deciding on whether to get more tiger barbs or get some tin foil barbs. i will get a bigger tank when the balas get bigger, but the thing is when the balas grow they might eat the tiger barbs and not the tinfoil barbs. I also was wondering if i go with the tinfoil barbs how many do i get and will they look after the tiger barb since theyre both barbs or will that tiger barb just be doomed. what do you think i should do?
thanks jordan

Neither Bala Sharks or Tinfoil Barbs will work in a 30g. Much too small. Bala Sharks can grow up to 10 inches and the Tinfoil Barbs can grow to over a foot.

jordan25 10-04-2010 03:08 PM

yes i know but they both grow slowly and i will get a bigger tank when theyre both bigger

CaliforniaFishkeeper 10-04-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan25 (Post 485761)
yes i know but they both grow slowly and i will get a bigger tank when theyre both bigger

You're planning on the stocking for a 30g. I wouldn't recommend getting fish that grow to any large size for it regardless of future plans. I'm going to repeat my warning: Don't buy these fish unless you have a larger tank already in the works right now. I always stock by maximum size of the desired fish. This is just my opinion and you're obviously free to do whatever you please.

-CFK

Edit...again: For a decent shoal/school of both species I would be getting 75 G. tank MINIMUM, preferably 125+....

tonycajjo 10-04-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jordan25 (Post 485757)
thanks jordan

get like 10 more barbs, very fun to watch when in a group.