Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Any chance at cichlids in a 10 gallon? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/any-chance-cichlids-10-gallon-5295/)

seo 04-24-2007 11:11 AM

Any chance at cichlids in a 10 gallon?

Hello all. I was thinking about setting up a 10 gallon and getting a couple of cichlids (was hoping african variety) Any thoughts? Is this big enough for a couple of fish? How any could I get? I am hoping for 3, would settle for 2. Was also thinking of getting a small pleco to clean up after them- I'm just starting to consider this and am just starting my research about cichlids. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Falina 04-24-2007 11:30 AM

I don't know any cichlids off the top of my head that would go in a 10g, nor could I find any when I did a quick search. Even the dwarf species 30g is usually recommended for a pair.

The smallest plec is the pitbull I'm sure, and I don't know if I would even put a pitbull plec in a 10g unfortunately.

For a 10g I would go for tetras, guppies, danios, a pair of dwarf puffers or a betta I'm afraid.

Perhaps somebody else will know of a cichlid that would go in a 10g, but I doubt it.

Sorry I'm not able to give you the answer you were looking for.

seo 04-24-2007 05:57 PM

Thanks so much for the response. I've got a 29 gallon with a few tetras and a gourami in it now, so maybe I'll move those to the 10 gallon and put the cichlids in the bigger tank. One more question- in a 29 gallon, how many dwarf cichlids could I do with one 6" pleco? Also, is there room for a couple of cichlids in the 29 gallon with roughly 6-8 tiger barbs? Would they get along ok? I know the tiger barbs can be fin nippers.

Thanks so much for the help!

Falina 04-24-2007 06:28 PM

I'm no expert but would expect the tiger barbs and cichlids not to get along. Barbs are nippy, and cics can be agressive.

In a 29g a pair of kribs would be nice. Or blue rams, or apistos. I don't see the plec being a problem as long as there are hiding places depending on what cic you get. A lot of cics like a cave, and sometimes a plec does as well so if there's only one, the plec might get bullied out of the cave. Not from experience, but from reading and researching, a lot of cics do best in pairs as there is less agression.

Oh, and tetras would do just fine in a 10g as long as there aren't too many of them. They certainly would do better than any cics that I know of :)

Let us know what you decide on.

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 08:09 PM

in the 10g u could put a pair of rams if it was planted ... maybe even a pair of apistos if u wanted to do the extra work

Falina 04-24-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.bojangles
in the 10g u could put a pair of rams if it was planted ... maybe even a pair of apistos if u wanted to do the extra work

Really? I always thoguht 20-30g was the minimum for any type of dwarf cic. I take it this would mean no other fish whatsoever though?

Ahh, you learn something new every day.

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 08:14 PM

its 10g per pair is wat most ppl say ... thats wat we recomend at the store i work at ... personally i got for 5 ... but if i do something u should do the opposite or atleast lower it to a senseable level

Falina 04-24-2007 08:18 PM

Quote:

its 10g per pair is wat most ppl say ... thats wat we recomend at the store i work at ... personally i got for 5 ... but if i do something u should do the opposite or atleast lower it to a senseable level

Well, there you go. I take it though, being bottom dwellers, you'd recommend them in a 10g is it wasn't too tall a tank? So there was optimum surface/bottom area.

Like I said I'm no expert, always willing to be proven wrong :)

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 08:31 PM

its no problem if u put in floating of climbing plants ... i have 6 (1male and 5 females) in a 20TTgalleon aquarium ... its 20 inches long by 10 inches wide by 22 inches tall ... i hav no problems, mine r actually breeding

Falina 04-24-2007 08:35 PM

Quote:

its no problem if u put in floating of climbing plants ... i have 6 (1male and 5 females) in a 20TTgalleon aquarium ... its 20 inches long by 10 inches wide by 22 inches tall ... i hav no problems, mine r actually breeding

Congratulations! :D

Post pics of the babies please!