Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   CORIES! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/cories-5294/)

Falina 04-24-2007 06:59 AM

CORIES!

You might have read my post a few weeks back when my cories laid eggs on the glass and I didn't know how to remove them, well, I didn't have any luck, I think I damaged them and they all went brown after a day or 2, HOWEVER, I have since moved them from their 10g into a 35g and they have done it again! :D

This time though, they have laid their eggs on a plant leaf, and so I can just break the leaf off and remove them that way - no chance of damaging the eggs.

Anyway, I'm absolutely delighted and just wanted to share with everyone! I will keep you updated as to if and when they hatch!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(1 smile for each egg so far)

Thanks for reading guys!

shaggbark 04-24-2007 07:48 AM

WOW! How exciting! Did you do anything in particular to encourage this? I wish my cories would lay eggs, please keep us updated.

Michelle :D

Falina 04-24-2007 09:19 AM

Yes it is very exciting!

They have laid 51 eggs in total that I can see, 35 of which were on a leaf and so I've managed to move these into a breeding unit. Strangely enough they laid all bar 8 of the other eggs on the side of the filter!

When I had them in the smaller tank I did small partial water changes every second day with the water going in 2 degrees cooler than the water they were in as this is supposed to encourage them to spawn. I also fed them a varied diet of flakes, algae wafers, bloodworm and brine shrimp (which I still do but more for their general health than spawning). I gave up after a few months and decided that I had either all males or all females, and soon after I gave up they spawned but like I said none hatched as I think I damaged the eggs trying to remove them.

I moved them into their new larger home last week and they have done it again. Any eggs on the glass or filter I have just left. The chances are high that they will get eaten, or the fry will get eaten when they hatch but I can't seem to remove them without damaging them anyway. I'm very hopeful for the ones on the leaf though. They hatch in 3-5 days so keep watching this post and I'll let you all know what's happening.

:D

willow 04-24-2007 09:27 AM

hay there
congratulations,hope they hatch. :)

Age of Aquariums 04-24-2007 11:10 AM

I love Cories!!! I hope all goes well!

Falina 04-24-2007 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone - I hope they hatch too. I'm very hopeful this time though since I dind't have to handle the eggs as they were on the leaf.

I'll keep you all posted :)

Age of Aquariums 04-24-2007 11:45 AM

What are the water conditions?

Falina 04-24-2007 12:10 PM

I tested this morning actually:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5 mg/l
Ph 6.5

jones57742 04-24-2007 12:34 PM

Re: CORIES!

Quote:

Originally Posted by juliewiegand
Anyway, I'm absolutely delighted and just wanted to share with everyone!

Time to get out the baby brine shrimp cone and eggs!

TR

Falina 04-24-2007 01:11 PM

It sure is!

I saw them at it this time, so I know that they're going to be bronze babies. Last time I didn't know whether they would be albino, bronze or peppered because all I saw was eggs.

Jones: do you think I should feed liquifry, or the egg yolk idea for the first few days? Or just straight to the baby brine shrimp?

Thanks!