Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
- - Neon tetra disease? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/neon-tetra-disease-52914/)
Neon tetra disease?
Hey, I've determined that one of my poor bloodfins might have a nasty illness, but I have no idea what it really might be without just guessing.
The fish has a bump behind it's head that started out milky with black outline and has now progressed to a full white spot.
http://db.tt/adT99uS - initial
http://db.tt/VFHsLax - 2 days after
http://db.tt/1wXSd2x - cropped pic tank
I'm using my phone and dropbox because I'm currently sans Internet. Sorry for the quality. :-(
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
1. How big is your tank?
20 gallon tank
2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.
Ammonia 0, nitrates/rites 0, ph 7
API ammonia test kit, the rest were checked by a local pet store. I had a slight ammonia issue thats probably what initiated the fish's illness, but the ammonia problem has been corrected.
3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?
4. How long the aquarium has been set up?
3 months with me, some other period of time at home. Parents decided they didn't want their guppies any longer :-/
5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Beta, 2.5 in, 3 months?
2 blue tetras, 1-1.25 in, 1 month
3 bloodfin tetras, .75-1.25 in, 1 month
6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
Yes, these tetra were also the first inhabitants added after a beta lived solo for around 2 months.
7. What temperature is the tank water currently?
About 76 degrees F
8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?
Yes, and they're going to be thinned some at the next water change.
9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.
Whisper filter for 20gal tank. Change filter about every month or so based on how it's looking.
10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?
Nope, just a heater, filter, and aerator.
11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?
The tank gets about 12 hours of lighting per day from a bulb.
12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?
Water change about every 2 weeks because of wafer debris, the last change was 2 days ago when I caught the sick fish, and yes I vac the substrate.
13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?
Flakes and they pick at algae wafers.
14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?
Bump, slower swimming, just acting stupidly. Of all my tetras, it was the only one I could even catch, haha.
15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.
No. It's just quarantined.
Posted via Mobile Device
No, that doesn't look like Neon Tetra disease to me. I just got a batch of Cardinals with NTD and lost about 19 total to it, but none looked anything close to that. It looked more like the color had leeched out of part of their bodies, not as if they had a patch on them. Plus they were dropping like flies, generally going from showing the discoloration to death in about 12 hours; they weren't around for two days like yours. They also had the neurological symptoms (twitching, thrashing, spinal curvature, uncontrolled swimming, etc.) which you didn't mention, so I'm assuming yours doesn't have.
That said, I'd guess either a fungus or a scrape injury that needs attention. I'm not positive though... is it possible to get some clearer pictures of how it looks now?
The best I can do right now is a video of the fish in action. He's just quarantined in the main tank since I don't have the equipment to setup a secondary tank right now.
He still tries to school with the other tetras when they come up to the plastic box. The only thing that I can tell is wrong is that the area changed to the current white spot.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.