Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   More questions final decision!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/more-questions-final-decision-52900/)

thefishboy 10-03-2010 09:56 AM

More questions final decision!!!

After a month of deciding on getting a nice tropical fish tank, then my snake escaping and no more fish then a smaller fish tank, then maybe getting clownfish then aquiring a new snake that had been lost then no more pets now getting another tank for my goldfish to go in!! Hurray.
Firstly is they any good cheap smallish tanks????
And is they anyy other fish youcan have with them?/ Corydoras or plecs?? With a heater of course??
And wat type of shrimp could you have i currently have 2 amano shrimp which i am very fond of!!!
Thnx in advance!!

BEARitone 10-03-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefishboy (Post 484848)
After a month of deciding on getting a nice tropical fish tank, then my snake escaping and no more fish then a smaller fish tank, then maybe getting clownfish then aquiring a new snake that had been lost then no more pets now getting another tank for my goldfish to go in!! Hurray.
Firstly is they any good cheap smallish tanks????
And is they anyy other fish youcan have with them?/ Corydoras or plecs?? With a heater of course??
And wat type of shrimp could you have i currently have 2 amano shrimp which i am very fond of!!!
Thnx in advance!!

Well, I am a fairly new aquarist, however I thought I would share what I have learned in setting up my tank. I was given a fishbowl with 2 goldfish as a present, they quickly got sick and died because of the conditions. I set out to get the equipment on my own and try again, due to the nature of the gift I had my heart set on some really cool goldfish. I quickly learned they are not for me due to some requirements, but I will do my best to answer.

They should have 6 gallons minimum for each fish, so depending on how many you already have that will decide on the tank that you will require.The reason behind this is because apparently goldfish have a large bioload and are sensitive to water parameters. From there I would recommend either a Aqueon or "Top Fin" (Petsmart's store brand) they are both sturdy and inexpensive.

Tank mates are basically the reason I did not go with Goldfish. The reason is that while their behavior is fine they prefer cooler waters, which should never be above 74 and preferably between 65 and 68. This really instantly limits you to other goldfish. Even your shrimp like temps from 70-80, I have seen a few that can tolerate low temperatures but even then the overlap margin is only a few degrees. The Red Cherry Shrimp, the Yellow Shrimp and the Crystal Red Shrimp are ones off the top of my head I have seen with those temperature requirements. However goldfish will eat just about anything that fits in their mouth, and I am sure shrimp are extra tasty if small enough. Plus you need to consider other water parameters.

Sorry I know it is kind of a bummer, I was really disappointed when I started learning more about goldfish requirements. Good luck to you.

thefishboy 10-04-2010 12:24 PM

Thank you, my goldfish are luving slightly wamer temps due to the fact they are next to my heated vivarium so the are quite warm, wen the get to large they are gong to go in my friends pond!!

redchigh 10-05-2010 01:40 PM

Goldfish also churn out lots of ammonia (due to being messy eaters)... And their water shouldn't really go over 70 degrees unless you feed them more often. (Their metabolism increases, and they age faster.)

If the goldies are already close to being too big, you should rehome them. Their growth will get stunted easily if they are in too small a space.

thefishboy 10-05-2010 01:42 PM

kk they are verry small