Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   55 gal Angel-based tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/55-gal-angel-based-tank-5281/)

Twisted_Angel 04-23-2007 06:42 PM

55 gal Angel-based tank

Hello everyone!

I am not exactly new to aquariums but I have never had anything so large as a 55 gal... until now. Or not far from now.

As I said in the title, I want the theme based on angels. I want four of them as center-piece fish. I would also like a shoal of False Juli Cories, at least 5 or so. (They're so cute, and quite beneficial!) The problem is deciding on the other inhabitants. The angels need higher temps even for tropical fish, and that sort of rules out some of my choices. I would like bright reds, blues, and yellows in the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :)

Lupin 04-23-2007 07:20 PM

Welcome.:wave:

I'm not sure if I understood the last bit about reds, blues and yellows. Are those other tropical fish apart from the angels?:) Full-grown rummy-nose tetras make perfect tankmates. You may want apistogrammas or blue rams to spice up the tank a bit.:thumbsup:

You will want 10 cories instead of just 5. A 55 gallons can accommodate 10 cories.:)

Twisted_Angel 04-24-2007 04:18 PM

Reds, blues and yellows are the other colors of fish I want in the tank. Srry, should have specified. Yes, 10 cories is much better than 5. Thanks for the suggestion!

Rams are nice, but since they are more bottom dwelling, wouldn't they clash with the cories?

I was thinking golden whiteclouds but from what I have read you aren't supposed to keep them in water above 72 degrees and angels need a minimum of 75 -sigh-

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 06:43 PM

1. rams arent really bottom dwellers. thats just usually wer the cover is so they stay there. if u wer to put some floating plants they would spread out.

2. white clouds would be fine til ur angels decided to eat them.

3. dwarf gouramis or large teras/ rasboras would be good

Twisted_Angel 04-24-2007 06:57 PM

Okay, so If I upgrade aquarium size somewhat, how's this?

4 angels
2 German blue rams
2 German gold rams
10 corydoras cats

I want some red fish too, but haven't decided what kind. I was thinking maybe those red danios... I definately despise the concept of dyeing fish, but am not sure how I feel about genetic engineering...

Hmmm... any thoughts on the issue, or ideas about the final (red) inhabitants? Origingally I was going neon tetras but they would most definately get eaten.

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 07:00 PM

how about some kind of rainbow ... red boesmani, red iranian

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 07:02 PM

or a school of bloodfin tetras. they get fairly large so they wont be eaten

Falina 04-24-2007 07:15 PM

Quote:

2. white clouds would be fine til ur angels decided to eat them.
I think that white clouds prefer lower temperature than most tropical fish however so it might not be a good match.

Quote:

or a school of bloodfin tetras. they get fairly large so they wont be eaten
Blind cave tetras won't get eaten either as they'e larger than most tetras (4") but they're certainly not coloutful, like what you wanted. I can't recommend them enough in terms of being interesting and personality though (anyone would think I'm on comission or something :) )

mr.bojangles 04-24-2007 07:21 PM

if u wanted that u may aswell go for congos

Falina 04-24-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.bojangles
if u wanted that u may aswell go for congos

But NOOO! The point here is that blind cave tetras are fabulous!!

Only kidding, if you preferred, congo tetras should also be fine with angels, and would not be eaten.