Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Help! D= I got my water tested and the ammonia was sky high (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/help-d-i-got-my-water-52808/)

lostperspective 10-02-2010 07:26 AM

Help! D= I got my water tested and the ammonia was sky high

nitrites & nitrates 0.

The tank is at least 6 weeks old.

I'm not over feeding.

I use tap water conditioner & I don't wash the filter in tap water.

I went to the shop to get it tested & they said it looks like I've managed to kill off all the bacteria somehow. (presumably that means I get the joys of cycling the tank twice? =/) & they've sold me a bacteria boost (safe start by tetra) & ammolock by api to detoxify ammonia.

Any ideas of the cause?
They suggested maybe the bucket or aerosols but I don't think I've used anything like that in several weeks and to put it bluntly, surely the fish would be dead by now if it were the bucket?

I'm doing a 50% water change soon & I've dosed the tank with ammolock. =/

redchigh 10-02-2010 10:09 AM

Yep, you have to cycle again. Actually, since you have 0 nitrites and nitrates, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you never cycled. (There would probably be traces of nitrates left over if it was a sudden ammo spike.)

As for the reason- Have you added anything to the tank?
Have you trimmed or gotten rid of any plants?
Have you stirred the gravel, or was there a power outage?
Are you sure there's not a dead fish somewhere in the tank?

kaythenewbie 10-02-2010 10:18 AM

Redchigh is right.

Also, you should know that some people have reported that using API's Ammolock has killed their bacteria in their tank. Not something you want to use while trying to get the bacteria started. If I were you, I'd exchange it for a different brand or just return it altogether and do frequent water changes.

On the plus side, Tetra Safe Start works great! Good luck with cycling.

lostperspective 10-02-2010 10:28 AM

There were some nitrites & nitrates two weeks ago.
I added some plants then & gained a few snails in the process.
There were definitely 5 fish last time I checked! (yesterday evening)
They've been lurking in the plants more and more this last week though.
I have trimmed dead/dying leaves off some plants & I moved everything round the tank a lot last week.
& added some root tabs.
& the other day the filter wasn't running properly because it was only half plugged in. But I don't think that was for long.

>.< So many possibilities.

Romad 10-02-2010 11:16 AM

Well since you have fish that you'd like to keep alive, your water changes will have to be pretty frequent to keep the ammonia at a level that won't kill them.

I recently discovered Seachem Stability and it's worked wonders in my smaller tanks to get them cycled. You add it for 7 days and can be added any time you have a spike.

Also, Seachem Prime water conditioner is hands down the best (i think lots of others on this forum will agree). It stabilizes the ammonia and nitrites for short periods of time (forget how long) so it's not harmful to your fish.

Good luck. And no, I don't work for Seachem :0

redchigh 10-02-2010 11:18 AM

I agree, do lots of water changes, and if you really want to use the ammolock, do so as little as possible.

It's best to cycle naturally.

lostperspective 10-02-2010 02:31 PM

Wish I'd not spent 6.50 on the ammolock now. D=
I've already started using it so I can't take it back now. I want to do what is best for my fish and plants. D=
I am going to buy some prime but the only bottles they had of it in the shop were huge.
I'll look up seachem stability but I'm wary of putting too much stuff into the tank. =/
& of course I'll do regular water changes. I was looking forward to only doing them once a week but nvm. =')

Romad 10-02-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostperspective (Post 484273)
Wish I'd not spent 6.50 on the ammolock now. D=
I've already started using it so I can't take it back now. I want to do what is best for my fish and plants. D=
I am going to buy some prime but the only bottles they had of it in the shop were huge.
I'll look up seachem stability but I'm wary of putting too much stuff into the tank. =/
& of course I'll do regular water changes. I was looking forward to only doing them once a week but nvm. =')

I'm def. not a fan of adding chemicals of any sort to the tank but from what I've read and researched, Stability is safe. The most important thing you need at this point is your water changes. Keep testing daily to see where you stand until cycled.

Then breathe a sigh of relief :)

lostperspective 10-03-2010 03:56 AM

I don't have a water test kit yet (although I think this incident has convinced me I might really rather need one..)
So I'm intending on changing 10 litres of water a day until I next get the water tested. =/
What I don't understand is don't plants use the ammonia/ammonium?
In which case maybe I'm over fertilizing them or just not letting them use up the natural nutrients in the water?

Last night I did a huge rearrange of the tank which was probably a little traumatic for the fish, but I managed to take out quite a lot of dead plant matter in the process. On the bright side my vallisneria was doing well! Three of the plants had sent runners and created new ones. x3

lostperspective 10-03-2010 05:14 AM

I've done two big water changes, dosed the tank with ammolock & added some safe start but the fish are still very much lurking in the shadows and look like they're gasping for air. D=
Their mouths are opening and closing very quickly.
Idk what to do.
I've got more water warming up to put in the tank.