Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Naturally lowering pH (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/naturally-lowering-ph-52771/)

allikins 10-01-2010 04:55 PM

Naturally lowering pH

I had bought Seachem Acid Buffer and much to my disappointment... most of it's sold instead of powder like it's suppossed to be. :/ So that's kinda out the window. Is there anyway I can do it naturally? I have some driftwood in my tank right now. Someone was telling me that peat moss works but from what I've read it also makes the water look like tea and I'm not too sure if I like the idea of that.

pH: 8.4
KH: 300
GH: 0-25

SinCrisis 10-01-2010 05:47 PM

Driftwood should make your tank look like tea also, if it doesn't, then its not lowering your PH. Driftwood and peat moss are the most common ways to lower your PH naturally. They do so by leeching tannins into your water which is an acid and makes ur water the teaish color.

allikins 10-01-2010 09:51 PM

Well poop.
Let's say that the drift wood doesn't do that.... then what would I do?

SinCrisis 10-01-2010 11:33 PM

get new driftwood that does usually the ones u buy already submersed are no longer leeching too much tannins.

Calmwaters 10-02-2010 12:12 AM

It will not stay that color for ever just a couple of week or so.

SinCrisis 10-02-2010 09:39 AM

well size is what dictates how long it will color your water, i have a large pieces thats still leaking tannins into my tank and its almost a year old now.

redchigh 10-02-2010 11:26 AM

Basically, if you want to lower your ph without using chemicals, and without staining your water, you're out of luck.

Just buy some fish fish and plants that like the ph... There's a lot...

fishkid 10-02-2010 12:43 PM

ADA Aquasoil (a plant substrate) lowers and buffers the pH of water. Be careful though, as it will cause an ammonia spike when initially placed in the tank, but this should disappear in a month or so. It's best not to mess with chemicals, they can often cause wild pH swings.

redchigh 10-02-2010 12:54 PM

I still say that long term, you're better to just get fish and plants that tolerate your water.

The grass is always greener on the other side- I wish I had hard water.
BTW, the soil probably works because of organic material-

I use soil substrates, and they release tannins into the water... Of course I have super-soft water, so the minerals in the soil tend to RAISE my ph to around 7.0, despite the tannins.

fishkid 10-02-2010 12:56 PM

I don't think ADA Aquasoil leaches tannins. I've seen a lot of people on planted tank forums trust it in their tanks of crystal red shrimp, which need soft water and are quite delicate.