Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Here's what I'm thinking so far for my tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/heres-what-im-thinking-so-far-52759/)

allikins 10-01-2010 10:07 AM

Here's what I'm thinking so far for my tank

I've got a ten gallon tank with aquarium gravel substrate and two ten watt CFL bulbs.

Foreground:
Banana plant
Maybe pearl weed in the corners
Marimo ball

Midground:
Crytal wort in a lawn type deal
Cryp Wedntii Red
Anubias Bartii var. Nana

Background:
Ludwigia repense

And... that's all I've got so far. :[ Iunno what else to do for the background. I was thinking of putting in some duckweed 'cause well... I like it but I have a hood so I'm not too sure if that'd be pointless.
also, can anybody recommend fertilizers for me? How do I lower the Ph of my water? It comes outta my tap at 8.4

LisaC144 10-01-2010 10:39 AM

Banana plants start out small but grow tall very, very quickly. It can start as foreground, but will quickly become a background plant. Also, they are known to rot over time. I had three at one time and just threw out my last one.

I love Red Wendtii and Ludwigia :-)

A word of caution, Anubias cannot be buried in the gravel. It needs to be attached to something (wood, decoration) and it will root itself to the object. If it gets buried, it will eventually rot.

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 11:27 AM

I would suggest some of the dwarf sword for the back ground as well they are very nice and easy to care for. Also maybe a floating plant such as Pennywort or Wisteria both of which are easy plants. The pennywort grows quickly and can be planted or floating. As far as ferts most of us use Seachem Floruish liquid and Seachem Root tablets.

aunt kymmie 10-01-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calmwaters (Post 483400)
I would suggest some of the dwarf sword for the back ground as well they are very nice and easy to care for. Also maybe a floating plant such as Pennywort or Wisteria both of which are easy plants. The pennywort grows quickly and can be planted or floating. As far as ferts most of us use Seachem Floruish liquid and Seachem Root tablets.

I had the dwarf swords planted in the background and it very quickly got swallowed up by the growth of everything else. I had to replant them mid-tank in order to see them. +1 on the Seachem Flourish liquid and Seachem Root tablets.

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 12:41 PM

Aunt Kymmie I suggest the dwarfs because it is only a 10 gallon tank. Your and some of mine are much larger tanks. LOL ; ).

allikins 10-01-2010 01:49 PM

I just got back from my LFS and I did pick up some Flourish. Need to get some root tabs though.
The dwarf sword was suggested to me by the fish vendor for my local walmart actually. xD I guess I'll give that a try.

As far as floating plants go I was thinking of pennywort too but I went ahead and asked them if they could order me some duckweed.

With the banana plants eventually rotting, I'm fine with that. I'll put 'em in the middle backish so when they get big they won't hog the limelight.

While I was out I picked up:
Banana plant x2
Anubias barterii x2
Ludwigia Red x2
a medium sized marimo ball :D
a small piece of drift wood. kinda circular.
Seachem Flourish comprehensive
Seachem acid buffer

allikins 10-01-2010 02:02 PM

ARG! The acid buffer is pissing me off. Most of it's hardened together making me unable to get to the measure. >.<

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 02:10 PM

Why are you adding the buffer to your tank? As for the bannana plant I have one that I have had for over a year now the bannanna part fell off but the leafs are still really pretty.

allikins 10-01-2010 02:23 PM

My pH is an 8

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 02:39 PM

Do you have driftwood in your tank? Sometimes that will help lower ph. What kind of fish are you thinking about putting in the tank?