Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Where to buy pygmy cories?

15K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Byron 
#1 ·
I'm looking into getting a few pygmy cories for my ten gallon but I'm not sure where to get 'em. I googled it and thatpetplace.com popped up first. They're selling them for .99... that seems a little odd. Can anybody give me any help?

#5 ·
In my experience, all three of the dwarf cory species are very sensitive and frequently do not travel well. I would strongly recommend finding these in a store and buying them. I have about 16 of Corydoras pygmaeus at present, in two tanks, but I see them in stores now and then and note that there are always several dead ones in the store tank after a couple days of arrival, always, and many others die within the next couple of weeks. If you can find a very reputable, reliable dealer, it is worth a trip by car to get good healthy corys.

Also, as noted in our profile, they should never be added to a new tank but only one that is established (not just cycled, which is absolutely critical, but established for a few weeks after cycling). I have lost whole groups in "new" tanks but never lost one in an established tank.

Also, I think mention was made in another thread about lowering pH from over 8--I would not put these fish in hard, alkaline water, they will not last. pH in the low to mid-7's can work, with proper acclimation, etc., though the species definitely does better and is healthier in soft, acidic water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.