Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   New Plants Are In (7 pics),Opinions Welcome (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/new-plants-7-pics-opinions-welcome-52743/)

wavebeast 09-30-2010 11:00 PM

New Plants Are In (7 pics),Opinions Welcome

I painstakingly planted the Micro Swords in mini strands - I planted the Rotala Indica & Magenta each together because that's how I've seen them. I was supposed to get Dwarf Baby Tears and instead received just Baby Tears or Pearl Grass (Hemianths Micranthemoides instead of Callitrichoides) and planted that upright and planted a few strands horizontally in the middle foreground to see if it would spread.

I trimmed the roots of the Rotala Indica - so it looks short because I trimmed a little too much. My one sword looks as if it may outgrow the tank soon. I boiled the new driftwood for three plus hours and soaked it for a few more days then added it on planting night.

I severely trimmed the floating Water Sprite to see if it would grow healthy instead of half brown.

10g tank, sponge filter, light- T8 6700K 10 hrs per day, API Leaf Zone twice a week (starting this week), root tabs near the Swords - will add more root tabs for the new plants. One Betta, a few Ramshorn snails, 4 or 5 Otocinclus in 2 or 3 weeks. Maybe some Ghost Shrimp.

Right now it looks sloppy and unbalanced but I had such a hard time planting everything that I'm just going to leave it for now and see how it develops. If I need to I can add more plants later.

I'm hoping to use clippings from the Rotalas and spread them around and I'm also hoping the other Swords grow enough to conceal the filter and heater.

Let me know what you think.

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 11:28 PM

You know what I think? I think you forgot to post the pics. Hurry and do so as it sounds really nice the way in which you planted it!

redchigh 10-01-2010 01:29 PM

Yep. I do concur.

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 02:12 PM

Yes pictures would be nice. LOL And yes you can always add more plants later. thats the great thing about tanks you can always add or remove as you want.

wavebeast 10-01-2010 02:23 PM

Pics

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 483143)
You know what I think? I think you forgot to post the pics. Hurry and do so as it sounds really nice the way in which you planted it!

Forum wouldn't accept the smallest size from my camera - it was still too big and I couldn't figure out how to re-size them in the time I had. Let me try again.

Calmwaters 10-01-2010 02:31 PM

Oh I like it alot! I love that piece of driftwood. It will fill in nicely for you.

LisaC144 10-01-2010 02:35 PM

Looking very nice. One thing though. With your swords, pull them up a bit out of the gravel. You don't want the part where all the leaves meet at the bottom to be buried in the gravel. It can eventually rot that way. Just reach in and give the swords a gentle pull upward so that only the roots are buried. Otherwise, you did a beautiful job. you're going to love how it looks in a few short months!

aunt kymmie 10-01-2010 03:29 PM

Agree, in a very short time it will fill in nicely. Lucky betta to have such a nice place to call home! :-)

wavebeast 10-01-2010 03:44 PM

Thanks. He was a "rescue" from a vase with a few rocks and a plant on top I got from a wedding. He's happy, curious, feisty and he'd eat like a drunken Viking if I let him. Plants and driftwood pretty much helped him survive.

Romad 10-01-2010 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavebeast (Post 483526)
Thanks. He was a "rescue" from a vase with a few rocks and a plant on top I got from a wedding. He's happy, curious, feisty and he'd eat like a drunken Viking if I let him. Plants and driftwood pretty much helped him survive.

LOL on the drunken Viking remark :-)

Nice job on the plants. Can't wait to do my 75 gallon (i'm still in research phase).