Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   What area of the tank do your tetras occupy most? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/what-area-tank-do-your-tetras-52711/)

Angel777 09-30-2010 02:40 PM

What area of the tank do your tetras occupy most?

I know this is a broad question but I am just curious so I thought I would ask.... Aren't most tetras supposed to occupy the mid level of the tank? I've had my tetras for a while now, some for about two years and others a little less than that and they all pretty much stay at the bottom of the tank. I have a school of each; glowlight (9), cardinals (10), black neons (10) and would love to see them swimming in an area of my tank other than the bottom.

I do have 3 cute little spotted rasboras that occupy the upper region of my tank. They are the last of a school of 10 I bought 5 years ago of which I am not planning on adding more of. I really need to buy some fish that will actually stay in the MID level of my tank because I am getting a little tired of seeing so much unoccupied space.

Anyone else have this problem?

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 02:45 PM

I also have a school of Cardinals and they all stay mid level. In another tank I have Columbian tetras and they all school at the top level. I wonder why yours stay to the lower water strata. Is the light really bright on your tank? I know many fish feel more comfortable out of direct light so this may be a contributing factor?

LisaC144 09-30-2010 02:53 PM

I'm the same as Kymmie. My Cardinal Tetras and Rummynose Tetra all occupy mid-level. Along with answering Kymmie's question, what are your other tank mates too? If they feel threatened by larger fish, they'll take shelter lower in the tank among the plants and decor.

Byron 09-30-2010 05:55 PM

Different species of tetra will tend to remain at different water levels in the aquarium. Glowlights prefer the lower half, often close to the substrate. Cardinals are similar, mine never venture above half-way except to feed from the surface. Black neons prefer the upper half of the aquarium according to this species' profile.

I think in very general terms, most (but not all) tetra characins are lower water fish. Pencilfish tend to be mid-to upper-water range. Hatchetfish of course remain at the surface, rarely descending though they sometimes do for various reasons, most especially fright. The Pyrrhulina and Copella species tend to remain at or close to the surface too.

Rasbora definitely prefer the upper half of the aquarium. I've had/have species in Boraras, Trigonostigma, Brevibora and they all swim upper water. They make good companions to non-aggressive characins.

Byron.

Angel777 10-01-2010 05:06 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't have any larger fish in the tank, just the tetras I mentioned, three little rasboras and 3 panda cory cats. I am getting more cories soon and am adding a few Bolivian Rams to the tank in the near future. I reduced my lighting to 6700k so it isn't too bright right now and I'll see how it goes.

I just really want a nice group of fish that will really swim around the tank together. Mabye I'll eventually look into getting a group of rasboras or something soon to liven up the tank activity.

Byron 10-02-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel777 (Post 483616)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I don't have any larger fish in the tank, just the tetras I mentioned, three little rasboras and 3 panda cory cats. I am getting more cories soon and am adding a few Bolivian Rams to the tank in the near future. I reduced my lighting to 6700k so it isn't too bright right now and I'll see how it goes.

I just really want a nice group of fish that will really swim around the tank together. Mabye I'll eventually look into getting a group of rasboras or something soon to liven up the tank activity.

No mention has been made of the tank size, so if considering Bolivian Ram that is important. Our profile explains requirements for this fish and numbers. I have a pair in my 115g and they get a bit rough at times, with each other and when spawning which of course in every couple of weeks they can be beligerent to the other fish near the bottom, as the Bolivians are lower water fish, eating off the substrate. Sexing them is next to impossible at the juvenile size they are usually seen in stores, and males need space for their territories. All this is covered in the profile.

Angel777 10-02-2010 12:21 PM

Thanks, I've been reading up on Bolivians. I have a 65 gallon tank and am thinking of just putting a pair of Bolivian Rams in it. Would love more but my tank is more deep than long so I probably should just stick to two Bolivians. I know they pair up on their own so I am trying to figure out how to go about doing that.

I have such a deep tank because eventually I want to buy an Angelfish as my "centerpiece" but that will be a looooong time from now because I know that I have to have wider body tetras in the tank with Angelfish.

Byron 10-02-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel777 (Post 484160)
Thanks, I've been reading up on Bolivians. I have a 65 gallon tank and am thinking of just putting a pair of Bolivian Rams in it. Would love more but my tank is more deep than long so I probably should just stick to two Bolivians. I know they pair up on their own so I am trying to figure out how to go about doing that.

I have such a deep tank because eventually I want to buy an Angelfish as my "centerpiece" but that will be a looooong time from now because I know that I have to have wider body tetras in the tank with Angelfish.

Angels are shoaling fish and need a group to be less stressed (unless a breeding pair is wanted). A group of 5-6 in a 65g would be fine. The Bolivian Ram is OK with them, but you might want to reconsider the Rams if you go with a group of Angels.

Bolivians are very difficult to sex unless mature, as explained in the profile.

Angel777 10-02-2010 12:48 PM

Byron,
For now I am going to focus on the Bolivian Rams and think about the Angelfish later down the line. Quite a while down the line. I am a member the Cichlid forum and seen their various suggestions as well as posting and getting replies from people who own both Angels and Bolivians. I will make sure that I do what is best for the fish. Happy Fish, Happy Home (Both theirs and mine).

Looks like I am going to have to buy a temporary extra tank that is big and long enough for me to buy a few Bolivians and see which two pair up to put in my main tank and rehome the ones that don't. I really want to make sure that I am able to get a pair for my main tank. Hubby is going to think I am crazy by getting another tank. He is one of the many that think you can buy fish and just plop them in the tank :roll: Of course I NEVER do that though.

Thanks for all of your help. It's been a while as I have not really been focused on my tank in over a year. The fish have been taken care of but I just haven't been as enthusiastic about my tank for quite some time.

burnsbabe 10-06-2010 09:56 PM

I think you'll be fine with a pair of Bolivians in a 65. I have a 55 and have two juvies in the tank who get along great. I picked out two that seemed be be peacefully hanging out together in the tank at the store. I've seen them spar a couple of times (in fact, just a few minutes ago) but never very often or very long.

My angels (in a group of 5) seem to wholly ignore them.

In answer to your original question, I have a school of 15 Pristella Tetras in the same tank and they seem to hang out in the mid-lower areas. Not very often right on the bottom, but not much about the halfway mark either unless I'm feeding. Great little fish. The markings on the fins are beautiful, but understated.