Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tiger Barbs - Need to Know! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tiger-barbs-need-know-52701/)

Souptik82 09-30-2010 12:37 PM

Tiger Barbs - Need to Know!

Hi!

I have a 30 gallon bare-bottom fish tank. I was wondering if I can keep Platies and Tiger Barbs together in the same tank. I happened to have 2 Platies in the tank and introduced 2 Tiger Barbs today and they are so far doing fine. :-)

I came back home and read on the internet that Tiger Barbs are semi-aggressive fish but if not kept in at least a group of 5-6 they become more fin-nipping in nature? So, in that case should I get another 4 of them tomorrow for my tank making it a group of 6 in total?

Also, can a couple of Red Cherry Shrimps stay in the same tank with these Barbs and Platies or will the Barbs kill it?

TIA

kitten_penang 09-30-2010 12:51 PM

lol barbs will eat them like snack lol not a very good idea.yes hey nip but smaller more cramp upped tanks with less hiding paces makes this behavior even more unacceptable.

Byron 09-30-2010 07:18 PM

Have a read of the profile of the Tiger Barb, click on the shaded name or use the second tab from the left in the blue bar at the top for profiles. A group of 8 or more in a 30g would be ideal, but not with any other fish except some bottom fish that the barbs will basically ignore. Loaches (only the species that remain smallish, under 4 inches) also in a group of 5-6 are suitable. I would expect two TBs to harass the platys to destruction.

Spooki 10-07-2010 09:44 AM

If you keep tiger barbs in a large school (8+) they're fairly peaceful towards other fish. 30 gallons is probably a bit too small for that though.

I have never had a problem keeping them with adult platties like that. They are seriously nippy in small groups though.

kitten_penang 10-10-2010 03:00 AM

other fishes go ouch aren't you a pain in the tush lol

MCraig 11-20-2010 12:41 PM

i am no expert and am still learning however my 2 tiger barbs are peacefull never nip at other fish generally are not intereseted in the other fish spend there time chasing each other, however the tiger barbs i have are very small compared to other tiger barbs, they have not grown since i brought them, the fish shop told be they are they only tiger barbs they know off that are good community has the stand is special breed in a way that they dont grow passed 3.5cm. if i find out what they called i let you know. but again i have only had my tank 4 months am no expert at fish keeping

Tapil 11-20-2010 01:07 PM

:Edit:
This isnt the forum i was posting in 0_0 that was weird...

kitten_penang 11-22-2010 11:18 AM

Tapil THINK REAL HARD hahahahahahaha

Inga 11-22-2010 02:49 PM

I agree with needing a group of Tiger Barbs. I have 9 and I have them in with a Gourami, Platies, 2 Guppies, a Rainbow shark and now, my Cories. Everyone is getting along without issue. The Barbs are fairly peaceful if kept in a group but only a few, will chase anything else in the tank. They also enjoy racing about the tank which can annoy the quieter fish.