Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   So where do you find driftwood online? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/so-where-do-you-find-driftwood-52672/)

allikins 09-29-2010 10:20 PM

So where do you find driftwood online?

When I last went to my LFS I didn't see any there so I was wondering if any of you have gotten some online?

Sorry for all the questions lately!

Romad 09-30-2010 04:32 AM

Don't apologize for a lot of questions. That's why we're here on a forum :)

As for the driftwood, I found my last two pieces in the reptile section of the pet stores.

But any good store that specializes in fish (not necessarily the big chain stores) should have a good selection.

Good luck.

Inga 09-30-2010 05:04 AM

Dr. Foster's and Smith has nice wood. Fish Supplies: Fish Tank & Fish Care | FosterAndSmithAquatics.com

1077 09-30-2010 05:14 AM

Manzanita.com:smoke:

allikins 09-30-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 482523)
Don't apologize for a lot of questions. That's why we're here on a forum :)

As for the driftwood, I found my last two pieces in the reptile section of the pet stores.

But any good store that specializes in fish (not necessarily the big chain stores) should have a good selection.

Good luck.

I read last night that it said to avoid the driftwood aimed towards reptiles because their might be dangerous chemicals on them?
I'll try to look harder next time I'm my LFS

fishkid 09-30-2010 06:28 AM

Also, check the classified sections of online fish and planted tank forums, as some people will sometimes sell their spares there. In fact, I have a few spare pieces of driftwood lying around.

Byron 09-30-2010 11:17 AM

Not all wood is the same, so you might want to research and decide on this or that type. My personal preference is the dark heavy wood, it sometimes goes under the name of ironwood, or mangrove root, or jeti wood. But it is very dark-brown almost (if not actually) black [you can see it in my tank photos], and being heavy it always sinks. It releases tannins like all wood, but minimal compared to some. It does not quickly rot, and plants grow on it easily (Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias). It looks very authentic underwater.

The lighter wood, mopani wood, is bad for tannins, will float until it is thoroughly waterlogged or somehow held down, and often has bacteria that initially can cause problems.

Another thought to bear in mind is that wood of the same type in a tank looks more natural. It takes a bit more effort to get a mix of woods to look natural.

BradSD 09-30-2010 12:26 PM

www.aquariumplants.com This site has some driftwood for sale.

LisaC144 09-30-2010 12:43 PM

I get mine at www.sweetaquatics.com. I paid no more than $6.50 for my largest piece, and I bought 6 pieces. They take a picture of each one to show you and will even cut it for you. I loved one piece from there and wanted it to be able to stand upright. They cut the bottom straight for me so it would stand up straight in the gravel. It's Malaysian Driftwood and sinks immediately.

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 01:29 PM

I got seven HUGE chucks of Malaysian driftwood for $60 on craigslist.com from a gentleman who was breaking down one of his tanks. I boiled all the wood in a large lobster pot to make sure to "kill" anything that may have been living in or on the wood.