Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Weird Readings. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/weird-readings-52658/)

Stasiak 09-29-2010 07:13 PM

Weird Readings.

On the weekend I had a reading for ammonia and a reading for nitrites. Nothing for nitrates.

I did have a peak of ammonia and it went down, and then I had one of nitrites, and it went down but was still there.

On the weekend I had some about 3.0 nitrites and 1 ammonia.

I ended up getting a seeded sponge on Sunday and had it running. I did a reading today and here is what I got.

Nitrates 0
Ammonia 1 - 1.5
Nitrites 0.

Since yesterday Nitrites have fell to nothing.

Is this normal when you added a seeded sponge??

kitten_penang 09-30-2010 03:31 AM

well i would guess this is a newly cycled tank.ammonia will spike in the first 2 weeks of a new tank set up then you'll get a nitrite spike for 2 weeks after the ammonia spike then finally as those 2 go down the nitrates will apear. how many weeks has the tank been cycling? have you done any water changes recently. what kit are you using and how old is it?

Stasiak 09-30-2010 07:58 AM

The test kit is new, well 3 weeks old.

The tank is going on it's fifth week.

I did have readings of both on Saturday, and before that they both hit their peeks.

Sunday I put the new used sponge in there, Tuesday I had readings of both, and yesterday I had only a reading of ammonia.

That is why it is weird to me.

I do have alot of plants in there, cabomba, java fern, anuabias, and cryts. Maybe the plants are using the nitrates up too fast to get a reading?

I did a water change on Friday before I took my stuff in to get tested.

kitten_penang 09-30-2010 10:34 AM

well maybe you should test the water first before you test it.the readings are more acurate coz new water will give a different reading cause it other contains chemicals.plus do you only have a single sponge? if you have only one then you should wash it with old tank water and re-use it coz it contains good bacteria and it helps with changing nitrite to nitrate.

Stasiak 09-30-2010 11:18 AM

Actually I have two pumps on it. I have An aquaclear 50 and a top fin 30. The newer one has a filter in it from an established tank.

Saturday I had readings, Sunday I had readings, Monday and Tuesday, and then yesterday no nitrites. I suppose I will see how much nitrates are taken out by plants. Maybe that is it. I don't really know, it's the first time I ever had live plants in a tank.

kitten_penang 09-30-2010 11:49 AM

well live plants only do good for the tank unless you let it die and rot in the tank