Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Coral and Reef Creatures (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/)
-   -   Frogspawn heads softening (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/coral-reef-creatures/frogspawn-heads-softening-52653/)

JohnnyD 09-29-2010 06:30 PM

Frogspawn heads softening

I have had this frogspawn for months now and it just hasn't been coming out fully lately. I have also noticed that the exoskeleton of the heads are turning soft looking. Does anyone know what is probably causing this? Some of my recent changes to the tank are the addition of a bubble tip anemone, which is not touching the frogspawn so I dont think it is being stung, and the redirection of some of the power heads. I had to redirect them in order to get the anemone to latch in a place i approved of. Other than that, I also epoxied the frogspawn to a rock in the tank. Im worried that where I epoxied it may have too much flow. Too much flow can irritate the frogspawn and cause it not to open all the way, correct? Also, my calcium levels were high before my recent water change (almost up to 500). Could this be part of the problem as well? I figured high calcium levels would cause hardening of the exoskeleton, not softening. What other things could be irritating this frogspawn or does it just need to be moved?

Tank specs:
46 gallon, been up and running for about 9 months or so. have 2 koralia 4's and an oversized skimmer.
all test results were good besides my recent high calcium levels. SG might of been a little on the high side and was almost 1.026 but that is a parameter suggestion from a coral site i follow.
I also have the nova extreme T5's HO light fixture.

Thanks in advance

bearwithfish 09-29-2010 09:54 PM

from what i have read (not personal experienced) high Cal is ok as long as your Alk is also in range with it (high cal high Alk)

yes flow will certainly play a big roll with the frog spawn as they are large soft polyps...
if possible adjust the flow in the area and also measure from the bubble to the Frog as the Bubbles will typically have a 6-9 inch range so it could be too close (just saying to be sure its also checked)

also when you placed the frog spawn in did you place it low in the tank and then gradually move it to where it is now? it may not like or be used to the amount of light it is receiving . just a thought....

badxgillen 09-29-2010 11:52 PM

euphilia

its probably the flow...if you fixed it to a differnt position and it had been in a comftorable one for a while it will take awhile to recoop ...and if the flow is wrong it never gets a chance due to exposed skeletal tissue...try an inderect flow...the anemone can move the euphylia cannot...i prefer hgh calcium with my frog spawns hammers and torches...400+...hope you figure this one out...let us know on any changes

JohnnyD 09-30-2010 11:16 AM

any tips on removing the epoxy without damaging the frogspawn? should i just use a knife to pry it or what? Im going to try to move it down and shelter it a little from the flow

badxgillen 10-01-2010 12:10 AM

oh

do you have a pic of its position...sometimes you can shield a coral from flow with another rock strategicaly placed...if you need to move it you may have to cut or break off some of the skeletal stalk as close to the rock as possible......be carfull not to agggrevate the flesh ....you may be able to pry the apoxy loose if the rock is porous enough...

JohnnyD 10-04-2010 01:47 PM

K, to try and counter this problem, I went to the LFS and just bought another piece of rock that i placed to kind of shield the frogspawn from the flow as much as possible. it seems to be coming out a little bit more just because it isnt being blown around as much. Hopefully the frogspawn will have a chance to harden up those heads again. Ill keep you guys posted.

Let me know of any other ideas as well.

bearwithfish 10-04-2010 02:26 PM

oh thats great!!! let us know how things are and as always PIX!!!!!! LOL

badxgillen 10-04-2010 02:53 PM

cool

all in good time

JohnnyD 11-20-2010 09:38 PM

6 Attachment(s)
so far, no luck. what are these tube looking things coming our from my frogspawn and some other places in my tank? are they aggravating the frog spawn by any chance? i uploaded some pictures. there is some web-like excretions in the last picture which makes me thing it could be some nuisance of some sort. this is worse than it usually is since i had just done some tank maintenance before taking these pictures. does anyone know anything about it?

for fun, i also uploaded some pictures of a few fish as well haha. they are decent at best since i took them on my phone...and the 6 lined wrasse managed to stay out of them...haha

JohnnyD 11-22-2010 08:09 AM

it also looks like those tubes in the first pictures above could possibly be the source of some of those secretions. right when the lights turn on in the morning there always seems to be some of the "webbing" on the frogspawn originating from those tubes...