Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Setting up new Tropical, well water, tiger barbs, pictus, rainbow shark... maybe (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/setting-up-new-tropical-well-water-52630/)

tonycajjo 09-29-2010 01:02 PM

Setting up new Tropical, well water, tiger barbs, pictus, rainbow shark... maybe

1 Attachment(s)
hello, so far i've found some good info here and figured i would post as i've decided to setup a tropical tank again! i have a 45-50 Gallon corner tank. attached is a pic from awhile back when i had it setup as a salt tank. (the air pump cranked to full) i had since given it to my brother as he wanted a tank and i wanted the room back in my room.

this summer my brother closed up his Cichlid tank because of an addition and remodeling being done to his house. he had no spot for the corner tank and asked if i wanted the tank back. i took it back and will be setting it up soon.

i was going to salt again but i do not want to spend the additional money for fish... it's not more work just extremely expensive and i will do salt again but just not now.

i have well water which is extremely hard... (i will condition as needed)

i want to put a bunch of tiger barbs, 9+
i want to put pictus catfish, 3
i want to put one rainbow shark, or maybe one red tail.

what do you guys think? i really like the pictus and the barbs and have had them before together. (only 1 pictus and i think 7 barbs)

unfortunatly i cannot put any type of shrimp in there because i'm sure between the cat and barbs something would gobble 'em up.

what do you guys think as far as the stocking setup? any fish i've over looked that would be good?

Backer 09-29-2010 08:05 PM

Hey, You're tank is REALLY nice :-), I've got a suggestion for it. You should get an african butterfly fish. Looks SUPER neat, almost like a salt water lion fish. He's a top dweller and relatively inactive. He'll even eat live crickets, in fact mine only eats live crickets. I really like them and they are a satisfying fish to keep, worth a look anyway.

Hope it helps and good luck with the new set up. :-)

burnsbabe 09-30-2010 12:15 AM

I know that a Rainbow Shark is going to be too big for this tank, but I suspect that the Red Tail will be also. The size of your tank in Gallons is alright, but, being a corner tank, I'm not sure there's enough swimming room. Check out the Profile for the species. It suggests 4+ feet of room to work with.

tonycajjo 09-30-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backer (Post 482250)
Hey, You're tank is REALLY nice :-), I've got a suggestion for it. You should get an african butterfly fish. Looks SUPER neat, almost like a salt water lion fish. He's a top dweller and relatively inactive. He'll even eat live crickets, in fact mine only eats live crickets. I really like them and they are a satisfying fish to keep, worth a look anyway.

Hope it helps and good luck with the new set up. :-)

that is a sweet fish, i wonder if it will do well with the barbs... after i've been thinking and looking i'm not sure what i'm gonna do. i saw some Black Ruby Barbs that look cool. And the guy at the local fish shop mentioned High Fin Rosy Barbs, i haven't seen much online about them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by burnsbabe (Post 482466)
I know that a Rainbow Shark is going to be too big for this tank, but I suspect that the Red Tail will be also. The size of your tank in Gallons is alright, but, being a corner tank, I'm not sure there's enough swimming room. Check out the Profile for the species. It suggests 4+ feet of room to work with.

yea, its only 2 feet by 2 feet... i may have to think that one through. maybe a smaller one of similar type.

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycajjo (Post 482772)
yea, its only 2 feet by 2 feet... i may have to think that one through. maybe a smaller one of similar type.

2 X 2 is also going to be way too small for adult size Pictus cats. Mine is in a five foot tank and he uses every inch of it for his nightime nocturnal cruising. These cats are very active and really do need more than two feet at their disposal. Cory cats would be more appropriate for a tank with this size foot print.

tonycajjo 09-30-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 482784)
2 X 2 is also going to be way too small for adult size Pictus cats. Mine is in a five foot tank and he uses every inch of it for his nightime nocturnal cruising. These cats are very active and really do need more than two feet at their disposal. Cory cats would be more appropriate for a tank with this size foot print.

i used to have one in a smaller tank back when i was in college. it seemed fine. i'll have to see, i really want this fish above all...

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonycajjo (Post 482824)
i used to have one in a smaller tank back when i was in college. it seemed fine. i'll have to see, i really want this fish above all...

I understand, I have a 6" Pictus and I *love* him. :-)

burnsbabe 09-30-2010 06:58 PM

Thanks Kymmie. I don't have much catfish experience at all, and none with the larger species like the Pictus. I would suggest though, that even if you did have one in a small tank at one time, that that doesn't necessarily make it the best or even an okay habitat.

I had two angelfish in a 20g along with several other fish all meant to be in schools when I was 10 or 12. I didn't know any better and they looked happy. I still feel bad about it now though. Just something to think about.

Our profile on the Pictus also suggests that being alone is not good for this fish and you'd need four more at least to solve this problem. I think your tank is too small.

Calmwaters 09-30-2010 07:48 PM

You could do the tiger barbs I have the same tank and I have them in it and they are happy. I have 8 and they are very active and alot of fun to watch. I also have 7 corys and 4 female bettas in there a common pleco, 6 neon tetra and 6 harliquin rasbora. I have real plants which really look great in there also.

Backer 10-01-2010 12:51 AM

I've had an african butterfly with blue rams, which are semi agressive lilke barbs and they had no problems cuz he lives in the top level.

Good Luck