Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   BNs are dying - urgent help needed! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/bns-dying-urgent-help-needed-52621/)

1stAquarium 09-29-2010 09:23 AM

BNs are dying - urgent help needed!

I had 2 male BNs in my 29 gal, had one for a year, the other about 5 months, both about 3 inches including tail. I noticed a couple of days ago that one was looking very lethargic and the situation very quickly worsened and he died. The other one quickly followed, same symptons, very lethargic, very easy to catch in the net (where I normally haven't got a chance!), kind of laid on the bottom but not suckering on, just sort of drifting from side to side in the water flow with their tails staying in the same place like an anchor. No obvious physical signs. Water parameters and other fish are fine.

My concern now is that, like an absolute idiot (and I'm really kicking myself now) I decided to put them in my 17 gal with a breeding pair of BNs which I recently bought (they haven't bred for me yet), in the hope they might recover and not be attacked by my other fish. Obviously, with them both dying, this is some sort of catching BN disease, and now my pair are acting a bit lethargic. I need to do something fast to save them but have no idea what this disease is and how to treat it, despite a lot of internet searching.

Can anybody help??

1077 09-29-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 481872)
I had 2 male BNs in my 29 gal, had one for a year, the other about 5 months, both about 3 inches including tail. I noticed a couple of days ago that one was looking very lethargic and the situation very quickly worsened and he died. The other one quickly followed, same symptons, very lethargic, very easy to catch in the net (where I normally haven't got a chance!), kind of laid on the bottom but not suckering on, just sort of drifting from side to side in the water flow with their tails staying in the same place like an anchor. No obvious physical signs. Water parameters and other fish are fine.

My concern now is that, like an absolute idiot (and I'm really kicking myself now) I decided to put them in my 17 gal with a breeding pair of BNs which I recently bought (they haven't bred for me yet), in the hope they might recover and not be attacked by my other fish. Obviously, with them both dying, this is some sort of catching BN disease, and now my pair are acting a bit lethargic. I need to do something fast to save them but have no idea what this disease is and how to treat it, despite a lot of internet searching.

Can anybody help??

Review water parameters, you absolutely need zero for ammonia and nitrites and nitrAtes under 40ppm. Anything added to the aquariums lately in the form of chemicals other than dechlorinator?
I might were it me perform 50 percent or 60 percent water change followed by another 24 hours later.
Might leave the water level a bit low to create waterfall effect to help with oxygen exchange.
Sudden event such as this ,would lead me to examine what if anything could possibly have been introduced to the aquarium (ie) hairsprays,deodorants,air fresheners, soap,etc.
Were the bristlenose that died eating regularly(normally)?
Might check with water company and see if they have made any changes as of late as to how the water is treated at the plant. Sometimes water companies alter the water by using excessive chlorine or chloramines while flushing lines during spring and fall. A good conditioner such as PRIME could help and can be safely used at double the dose.
Wish I could offer more but it is very hard over the internet to diagnose possible problem but clean water through water changes as described can sometimes help.

1stAquarium 09-29-2010 03:42 PM

Thank you!! I'll give the water changes a try. Nothing unusual introduced to the water at all. I'm thinking maybe my ruby shark in main tank could have been hogging the algae wafers as I haven't actually SEEN the two dead males eating for a while but they didn't actually look emaciated at all. I'll keep you posted, I'll be so gutted if this pair die after all my searching for them!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

1077 09-30-2010 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1stAquarium (Post 482078)
Thank you!! I'll give the water changes a try. Nothing unusual introduced to the water at all. I'm thinking maybe my ruby shark in main tank could have been hogging the algae wafers as I haven't actually SEEN the two dead males eating for a while but they didn't actually look emaciated at all. I'll keep you posted, I'll be so gutted if this pair die after all my searching for them!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Might try adding some vegetable matter to the tank in the form of romain lettuce,zucchini,yellow squash,or red sweet pepper, Stick a fork through the vegetables or wrap them around a rock with rubberband to hold it down near/on the bottom..
Vegetables can be left in the tank for a couple days without fouling the water for they don't contain the animal proteins that some foods do and vegetable matter along with algae wafers or spiruilna should be offered regularly.
Were it me,, I'd find a new home for the shark. most become territorial and could indeed be hampering the Bristlenose's ability to get their fair share of foods along with creating stress for the bristlenose.

1stAquarium 09-30-2010 02:22 AM

Ok will give them some veg when I get home I normally use the cleaning magnets to hold it down.
The shark is in my main tank where the two (now dead) male BNs were before I moved them to the 17gal where I have my pair. There is nothing else in this tank.
Posted via Mobile Device