Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Anabantids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/)
-   -   pale honey gourami :S (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/anabantids/pale-honey-gourami-s-52619/)

eguynth 09-29-2010 09:11 AM

pale honey gourami :S

I have couple of honey gouramis in my tank I just noticed one of them lying on a plant near the to surface. I know they breathe from mouth but it was abit below the surface level. Just lying on a leaf. She was abit pale, fins are not damaged but they were pale. Wasn't eating when I put some food.
tank mates are neon tetras, dwarf gouramis and more honey gouramis.

eguynth 09-29-2010 09:14 AM

just noticed she is gone from that spot. I cant recognize which one was that either :S

eguynth 09-30-2010 01:38 AM

ok she's dead now >< saw her this morning lying close to a plant in a corner. :cry:

Byron 09-30-2010 05:37 PM

Fish can die from so many internal issues that we may not ever see; I never worry as long as I see no outward sign of blotches, spots, lumps, etc., and it is not an epidemic but just one fish.

Have you observed any aggression among the gourami? The dwarf gourami in particular, but also the honeys?

eguynth 10-03-2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 482919)
Fish can die from so many internal issues that we may not ever see; I never worry as long as I see no outward sign of blotches, spots, lumps, etc., and it is not an epidemic but just one fish.

Have you observed any aggression among the gourami? The dwarf gourami in particular, but also the honeys?

not really they do chase each other when I feed them. the dwarfs are very little. So they dont do any thing to the honey gouramis.

Byron 10-03-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eguynth (Post 484781)
not really they do chase each other when I feed them. the dwarfs are very little. So they dont do any thing to the honey gouramis.

Keep an eye on them. "Chasing" can be very stressful to the fish being chased, since while it looks sort of playful to us, the fish doing the chasing is probably sending out strong signals of aggression. If this is occurring regularly and not just at feeding, it may be part of the issue.

The other thing is that dwarf gourami carry disease sometimes, as mentioned in our profile. Gill flukes is also very high in this species, and this is contagious.

eguynth 10-03-2010 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 485142)
Keep an eye on them. "Chasing" can be very stressful to the fish being chased, since while it looks sort of playful to us, the fish doing the chasing is probably sending out strong signals of aggression. If this is occurring regularly and not just at feeding, it may be part of the issue.

The other thing is that dwarf gourami carry disease sometimes, as mentioned in our profile. Gill flukes is also very high in this species, and this is contagious.

I see I'll look in to that. I noticed at the lfs there are alot of dead dwarf gouramis in the tank. they aren't even removed. ><
I never buy those fish though.