Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Sunset variatus not interested in mating. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/sunset-variatus-not-interested-mating-52590/)

kald 09-28-2010 05:40 PM

Sunset variatus not interested in mating.

About a month ago my LFS got in some very nice variatus platies. They had a high pricetag (17 dollars for one fish, while regular platies are cheaper than a cup of coffee) so I bought the healthiest male in the tank.

At first the fish was extremely stressed and hid away and wobbled slightly for a week. Now, he's in perfect health, bright colours and has grown a little. All of my male platies are extremely eager to mate, and constantly chase the females. Because of this, I removed 5 males from the tank the variatus is in so that the ratio is roughly 4 males to 15 females.

The variatus is the only fish in the tank that doesn't chase the females. My tank consists of only regular platies (wags, tuxedos and mickeys) and 2 sword-platy hybrids. Is there any reason? I would like to breed it with my existing batch for fun offspring. Are variatus hard to cross with "regular" platies?

Chicklet 09-29-2010 07:21 AM

I've run into a fair amount of platies lately for some reason that just don't seem to be any good,
I just discard them and get another. Which usually turns out to be fine.

kald 09-29-2010 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicklet (Post 481833)
I've run into a fair amount of platies lately for some reason that just don't seem to be any good,
I just discard them and get another. Which usually turns out to be fine.

Yeah, but in a smaller community it's not like I can easily find some nice varieties of livebearers. It'll likely be a good few months or years before I find another variatus, sadly.

And I'd rather not pay an arm and a leg to ship some in :)

It's odd though.

Chicklet 09-29-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

It's odd though.
Not really, Most people keep more then one male with their females, so they never really notice.
and those that don't you have to remember females hold sperm from one mating for several months or more,
If like some breeders, keep virgin females then you will find you run across sterile males every now and again.
Even many professional breeders keep more then one male with their females, At least until they know a male has proven himself.

Their is another thing with platies, Some can be so timid & nervous they just never seem to think about mating,
I ran into one of those in my black tuxedo's not to long ago. Was the only tuxedo male I had left as it turned out,
I just realized one day, Why have I not been getting young from you guys anymore, Thats when I saw only one male, oops, sold too many males back when, and the females were not holding, brain started clicking, I can be so dumb some times, The only male in the tank was a chicken chit, always darting and hiding over the least little thing,
So I changed him to a different tank where it was more isolated, on a shelf, back corner with only one end showing, Lots of cover, then left them so see what came of it. alittle over a month later I started getting fry again.

buckmanrules 10-21-2010 04:56 PM

Your variatus and Platys MAY not interbreed successfully. They are of the same family along with sword tails but they are different varities. Platys are xiphophorus maculatus (shorter fatter fish) and Variatus is xiphophorus variatus (longer, thinner and more cold hardy fish). Don't get me wrong. They do interbreed and have created all sorts of crazy results. With competition in the community tank the variatus might be looking for another variatus as the male platys might be slightly aggressive with him. so the puickings might not be easy for him.

kald 11-02-2010 11:13 AM

Update!

The male variatus has finally paired up with my blue wagtail platy. Hopefully I'll get some interesting results.