Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Type of Eels? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/type-eels-52556/)

TxFrog 09-28-2010 11:00 AM

Type of Eels?

I have 2 peacock eels on my 55 gallon tank, both about 6 inches long. One is very active (swims all day, never buries itself), does exactly the opposite as described in all 'profiles' I've read about them. The other one is typical (buried most of the time and barely comes out during the day). I really like them both. I've been doing some research on other types of Eels, Tiretrack eel, Zig Zag eel, Fire eel... trying to find a species that won't grow too much and that would fit in my other 56 gallon tank. I've read mixed reviews on growth about them and not sure what to get, any advice? or any other type of eel I might be missing and would be more suitable for the 56 gallon tank?

TxFrog 10-08-2010 08:16 AM

ok... no Eels. :(

kitten_penang 10-08-2010 08:30 AM

so sorry i don't keep eels but have you looked up on their profiles?

TxFrog 10-08-2010 08:57 AM

I have, the Asian eels I've found grow up to 2 and 3 feet long, some African eels are cool and only grow up to 18" but they are EXPENSIVE! haha.. I really do like the Fire Eels but like said, apparently they grow up to 2' and that's kinda big.

kitten_penang 10-08-2010 09:27 AM

well the you can try bichirs.. they are like eels

Sir Lancelot 10-08-2010 11:29 AM

i have a fire eel and a peacock eel. from what i have learnt is that the peacock eels can grow between 15 inch's to 20 inch's in captivity. the fire eel is the same. although mine are both about 7 inch's at the moment but they are in a 40 litre tank until i have get my 5 ft tank. both of mine dont bury themselves but the fire eel hides in the plants. i think they can only grow to the size of your tank though. i adore my fire eel, its my pride and joy. the shop said it would grow 1 metre in a year but i have had mine for 5 months and it has only grown an inch. i do recommend getting a fire eel. mine cost me 15 at 6 inch's

TxFrog 10-08-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Lancelot (Post 488465)
i have a fire eel and a peacock eel. from what i have learnt is that the peacock eels can grow between 15 inch's to 20 inch's in captivity. the fire eel is the same. although mine are both about 7 inch's at the moment but they are in a 40 litre tank until i have get my 5 ft tank. both of mine dont bury themselves but the fire eel hides in the plants. i think they can only grow to the size of your tank though. i adore my fire eel, its my pride and joy. the shop said it would grow 1 metre in a year but i have had mine for 5 months and it has only grown an inch. i do recommend getting a fire eel. mine cost me 15 at 6 inch's

Really? Facinating! Like I said, one of my peacock eels swims all day and never bury, odd. Thanks for your imput, I'll look for a fire eel since i think they are beautiful and see how it goes.
Thanks Sir Lancelot.