Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Saltwater Aquariums (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/)
-   -   Is moving as big a hassle as i think?? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-saltwater-aquariums/moving-big-hassle-i-think-5251/)

deathjesta1 04-23-2007 02:36 AM

Is moving as big a hassle as i think??

I was wondering if anyone out there has gone through moving house or something of the like with their fish tank. I live in a rental place and was worried about gettting a salt water aquarium established then having to move for some unforseen reason. It is a large tank so i can only assume it is a larger hassle. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

Mrmofo 04-23-2007 04:15 AM

yup...larger the tank is usually proprotional to hassle try this equation. distance moving x 1000000 = ur pain and suffering :P simple mathamatics.its hard because the tank weighs so much with the LR + water and glass is fragile so u cant really move everything in it or else u mite loose the lot, but if u move the water, the rocks , the sand it basicly needs to cycle again and if u have high ammonia again chances are the more high end of animals u have wont handle the spikes n u will have dead fish, im sure its do able, id suggest that when u do move u go to an LFS or some one with a couple saltys n put everything in there, move the tank, get the LR then the fish last and u should minimise losses?

usmc121581 04-23-2007 09:37 AM

I moved my tank from South carolina to maryland last may. Was it a hassle yes. Did I lose anything no. As long as you take proper steps, and it also depends on what you have to move.

deathjesta1 04-23-2007 04:30 PM

the things we are most worried about would be the corals, and the live rocks, and well im guessing the fish to. do they live well in a bucket with the same water from the tank?? and for how long??

usmc121581 04-23-2007 05:05 PM

Heres what I did. Put all corals in fish bags from a LFS and packed them in a rubber maid bin from walmart. I also put tank water in there just in case a bag got /had a small leak. Put all my live rock in numorous rubber maid bins and filled with tank water so that it could stay moist for the 15hr drive. For the fish I ripped the tank down 24hrs before I began the drive. I didnt feed them 24hrs before I ripped the tank down. This is so they dont produce waste as often that way they dont polute the water as fast. I got a big bag something like a trash bag and lined another rubber maid bin with it. Removed fish from tank and put in bin. Though out the night before the move I had a hang on the back filter. As I drove I would open the bin and the bag to let the bad air out and let good air in. With all the left over tank water I put as much as I could in 3-32 gallon trash cans. I did this only because I would get there late and didnt whant to make water up that late. So when I arrived I put the tank back to get and did a large water change the next day. All my fish and corals survived this trip.

Age of Aquariums 04-30-2007 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usmc121581
Heres what I did. Put all corals in fish bags from a LFS and packed them in a rubber maid bin from walmart. I also put tank water in there just in case a bag got /had a small leak. Put all my live rock in numorous rubber maid bins and filled with tank water so that it could stay moist for the 15hr drive. For the fish I ripped the tank down 24hrs before I began the drive. I didnt feed them 24hrs before I ripped the tank down. This is so they dont produce waste as often that way they dont polute the water as fast. I got a big bag something like a trash bag and lined another rubber maid bin with it. Removed fish from tank and put in bin. Though out the night before the move I had a hang on the back filter. As I drove I would open the bin and the bag to let the bad air out and let good air in. With all the left over tank water I put as much as I could in 3-32 gallon trash cans. I did this only because I would get there late and didnt whant to make water up that late. So when I arrived I put the tank back to get and did a large water change the next day. All my fish and corals survived this trip.

Sounds like you had a interesting move. With all the tanks I'm setting up... I hope I never move.....

As for moving a tank, I've moved a 29g tank before, the fish where a pain, and the tank cracked. Wrap your tank with cloths if you ever have to move. But in the end, it will be worth the trouble.