Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Do you buy expensive fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/off-topic-discussions/do-you-buy-expensive-fish-52472/)

tanker 09-27-2010 03:25 AM

Do you buy expensive fish?
 
Hatchet fish were recommended to me and I'd like to get them, but they are AU$17 (or more). I'm not going to get them (unless they happen to appear on sale) as I think they are too expensive. If a $5 fish dies, it isn't much to replace it, but it is obviously more expensive to replace more expensive fish if you lose them. The prospect of some horrible disease wiping out all your fish would also be worse.

How much does price influence you? Do you splash out and buy whatever you want, regardless of the cost, or are you frugal ("cheap":lol:) like me?

1077 09-27-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 480259)
Hatchet fish were recommended to me and I'd like to get them, but they are AU$17 (or more). I'm not going to get them (unless they happen to appear on sale) as I think they are too expensive. If a $5 fish dies, it isn't much to replace it, but it is obviously more expensive to replace more expensive fish if you lose them. The prospect of some horrible disease wiping out all your fish would also be worse.

How much does price influence you? Do you splash out and buy whatever you want, regardless of the cost, or are you frugal ("cheap":lol:) like me?


Have spent as much as 150.00 U.S. dollars for one fish but only after I was certain that it had a good chance of thriving in my tank(s).
I suppose it depends on how much a particular fish appeals to me ,but with fishes such as Cardinal Tetras or some of the more delicate soft water fishes,,,I can't see paying the prices asked in many instances knowing that my water chemistry does not lend itself to their long term survival.

tanker 09-27-2010 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 480260)
Have spent as much as 150.00 U.S. dollars for one fish.

Was that a fancy, big fish, or just an ordinary sort of fish? I think I'd pay more for a fancy big fish than a group of smaller fish. Not sure why.. I think the prospect of one dying doesn't seem as bad as having a group and having them die one by one or all wiped out in a catastrophe.

1077 09-27-2010 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 480261)
Was that a fancy, big fish, or just an ordinary sort of fish? I think I'd pay more for a fancy big fish than a group of smaller fish. Not sure why.. I think the prospect of one dying doesn't seem as bad as having a group and having them die one by one or all wiped out in a catastrophe.

Fish were for the most part Discus ,and a couple of hard to find Plecos. Prolly could have gotten them cheaper online but cost of shipping would have negated much of the savings .

tanker 09-27-2010 04:04 AM

Those discus are beautiful fish. They are probably worth it because they are so special.

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 03:06 PM

I am also guilty of dropping a hunski or two on select fish. :oops:

LisaC144 09-30-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 482803)
I am also guilty of dropping a hunski or two on select fish. :oops:

Me too. Thanks to Kymmie's persuasion. And I wouldn't change a thing ;-)

tanker 09-30-2010 08:20 PM

Well, come on, ladies. Full confessions!!:lol:

What did you buy, and, most importantly, did it survive?

aunt kymmie 09-30-2010 09:42 PM

I purchased eight Discus. Not only did they survive I now have two spawning pairs. :-)
I also purchased a school of nine Denison Barbs. Sadly I lost three due to a serious error in a water change I did. Never use an old hose to fill your tank. :-( The remaining barbs are doing great!

tanker 09-30-2010 09:53 PM

Did you get more upset when you lost your expensive fish, than when you lost cheaper fish?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2