Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Dead Glowlight Tetra, not sure what happened (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/dead-glowlight-tetra-not-sure-what-52455/)

kaythenewbie 09-26-2010 09:31 PM

Dead Glowlight Tetra, not sure what happened

I'm hoping that someone will have an idea what happened to my fish. . .

I cycled a 20 gal long tank. I did a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. I also planted the tank. After the tank finally cycled and the ammonia was at 0 for 2 days, I added fish (5 glowlight tetra last monday).

All the fish did very well their first week in the tank. 4 would swim together. One fish (dubbed "the loner fish") liked to hang by itself.

I was planning on adding more fish tomorrow to my tank. However, last night, the loner fish wouldn't eat. I tried to get it to, but it wouldn't. It also didn't swim too much and appeared to be breathing rapidly. This morning it acted fine. Tonight, I found it dead at the back of the tank. It was really bloated :cry:

Does anyone know what might have happened to it? I'm concerned for my other four fish. The appear to be fine, but I don't want them to catch whatever the loner fish had. I also don't want to introduce any other fish into the tank until I'm sure no others will get sick.

The loner fish appeared fine: good size, nice coloring, good appetite until last night.

My water params are:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 3 ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness: 13 dH
Temperature: 78 F.

I fertilize the plants in the tank twice a week with Nutrafin PlantGro.

Does anyone know what caused my fish to die? How long will it take before I know my other fish aren't infected? My fish is still under Petsmart warranty, but I don't want to replace it until I know my tank is safe. Thanks!

1077 09-27-2010 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaythenewbie (Post 480081)
I'm hoping that someone will have an idea what happened to my fish. . .

I cycled a 20 gal long tank. I did a fishless cycle with pure ammonia. I also planted the tank. After the tank finally cycled and the ammonia was at 0 for 2 days, I added fish (5 glowlight tetra last monday).

All the fish did very well their first week in the tank. 4 would swim together. One fish (dubbed "the loner fish") liked to hang by itself.

I was planning on adding more fish tomorrow to my tank. However, last night, the loner fish wouldn't eat. I tried to get it to, but it wouldn't. It also didn't swim too much and appeared to be breathing rapidly. This morning it acted fine. Tonight, I found it dead at the back of the tank. It was really bloated :cry:

Does anyone know what might have happened to it? I'm concerned for my other four fish. The appear to be fine, but I don't want them to catch whatever the loner fish had. I also don't want to introduce any other fish into the tank until I'm sure no others will get sick.

The loner fish appeared fine: good size, nice coloring, good appetite until last night.

My water params are:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 3 ppm
pH: 8.0
Hardness: 13 dH
Temperature: 78 F.

I fertilize the plants in the tank twice a week with Nutrafin PlantGro.

Does anyone know what caused my fish to die? How long will it take before I know my other fish aren't infected? My fish is still under Petsmart warranty, but I don't want to replace it until I know my tank is safe. Thanks!

pH and hardness are a bit out of comfort range for glowlight tetra's but they may adapt if the conditions are stable and they are acclimated slowly. Could just be a case of a weak fish that was perhaps already ailing (not uncommon).
Would wait a week before introducing any more fish and might perhaps try a different source for fishes if possible.

kaythenewbie 09-28-2010 09:42 AM

Thanks. I know my water is a bit extreme. That's why I chose glowlights, they are a bit hardier than other tetras. The other four fish are doing great. I've been keeping a close eye on them. I think you're right about the one just being a weak fish. It never acted as active as the others. But I'll continue to watch my others closely.