Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Characins (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/)
-   -   How can I feed neon tetras with some other top feeders in the tank? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/characins/how-can-i-feed-neon-tetras-52429/)

nnpra 09-26-2010 06:11 PM

How can I feed neon tetras with some other top feeders in the tank?

It may seem to be a stupid question. But my problem is that a Molly and a Platy always swallow all food that I put in before neon tetras that usually stay at mid-to-low level can have some. Does anyone have a good idea how to effectively feed them? I always end up feeding a bit more than I want.

Thank you
PS. My tank is 20 gallon which is kind of "tall" compared to my first 10 gallon tank. That's why the effect of different levels of water is noticeable.

tanker 09-26-2010 11:55 PM

Somebody on the forum (aargh, who? Can't remember, sorry. You know who you are:lol:) has mentioned that she uses a pipette to place the food lower down for her frogs.

aunt kymmie 09-26-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanker (Post 480182)
Somebody on the forum (aargh, who? Can't remember, sorry. You know who you are:lol:) has mentioned that she uses a pipette to place the food lower down for her frogs.

It's not me as far as feeding frogs because I don't have any, but I also use a pipette to target feed my Discus, and in my Community loach tank I use a turkey baster to shoot food down to the loaches so they have a chance at it before the Columbian Tetras take it all.

1077 09-27-2010 12:13 AM

Have grabbed a pinch of food and released it under the surface at times for fishes that feed at mid depths. Would be careful of what may be on your hands when using this method.

tanker 09-27-2010 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 480187)
It's not me as far as feeding frogs because I don't have any,

I may be confusing more than one person. I may have read your posts about it but I also remember reading it about frogs because they can be slow eaters and you have to be careful that they get enough to eat.

Byron 09-27-2010 02:25 PM

You could try the sinking foods, not the stuff intended for bottom fish but the granules that will slowly sink. Putting in enough for some to reach the bottom is OK, esp if you have bottom feeders that will eat it too.

The other thing I do is what 1077 mentioned, but I just stir the flake food at the surface when I first put it in and it starts to sink rather than float.

sik80 09-28-2010 07:43 AM

As said before, strirring the food will make it sink rather then float on the top. My neons really like Hikari micro pellets when I sink some. Also, fish are likely to be less shy about coming to the surface to feed if you have some floating plants