#1 ·
Hi. I have done about 5 tests over a few weeks and currently my tank is:

KH: 3
pH: 6.4
A: .5
NO2: 0
NO3: 5

as seen here in "Track My Tank".

1) I have yet to see any nitrites. Sup with that?
2) Is my pH ok?
3) Do I need to continue testing pH and KH (tank is cycling (hopefully) but pH and KH have not changed at all).

Thanks!

#2 ·
Your ammonia at 0.5 is quite high. You need more water changes for that.

You may not have seen the nitrites spike as you already have 5 ppm of nitrates.:squint:

I don't think it's necessary at the moment to check your KH. I wouldn't worry about pH unless KH is below 3 which would result to pH crash.

#3 ·
Thanks Blue. So has my tank cycled? (you can check the readings that I've posted in Track My Tank)

Thanks.

#4 ·
jsm11482 said:
Thanks Blue. So has my tank cycled? (you can check the readings that I've posted in Track My Tank)

Thanks.
With ammonia at 0.5, your tank hasn't finished cycling. Unless you added more ammonia after the bacteria converted nitrites into nitrates.

#5 ·
I haven't added any ammonia (since I couldn't find any) but I did add 5 Zebra Danios. I thought you weren'y supposed to change water while cycling?

#6 ·
With danios, how will they survive the ammonia?:squint: Ammonia at that level will not let them thrive long enough.

#7 ·
Blue, danios are hardy fish and you know that! They wont thrive but they will cycle the tank and probably fight threw it! :p

#8 ·
flattrack23 said:
Blue, danios are hardy fish and you know that! They wont thrive but they will cycle the tank and probably fight threw it! :p
Yes. But I find it too cruel to let ammonia rise when you have danios. Best to concentrate on nil ammonia and nitrites.
But if they seem ok, then I don't see anything wrong with that.

#9 ·
Yes, isnt it called cycling with fish? ;) I hope the poor lil guys will fight threw!

#10 ·
flattrack23 said:
Yes, isnt it called cycling with fish? ;) I hope the poor lil guys will fight threw!
Not threw.:bluelaugh: It's through.:tease:
I understand what you mean though.:mrgreen:

#11 ·
:brow:

#12 ·
I just did a 25% water change and now the ammonia reading is between .25 and .5 - can't tell which. But the (baby) plants I have should consume some of that, right? Also shouldn't the nitrite's be kickin' in soon to eat the ammonia?

#13 ·
jsm11482 said:
I just did a 25% water change and now the ammonia reading is between .25 and .5 - can't tell which. But the (baby) plants I have should consume some of that, right? Also shouldn't the nitrite's be kickin' in soon to eat the ammonia?
Plants will consume ammonia but not convert them to nitrites. Only bacteria will.

Josh, the only way to remove ammonia is to do more water changes. Plants wil be too slow and too much ammonia forming will cause gill burns and other problems to the fish.

#14 ·
When I cycled with fish, everytime the ammonia reading rose above 0.25 I did a partial water change. It took a while to cycle - but after getting some mature flter media from the LFS it cycled really quickly (it would be helpful if you could do that), and I never lost a fish.

The lower your pH is, the less toxic the ammonia is to the fish I believe - and your pH is quite low. :)

#15 ·
#16 ·
Hmmm that is odd. you have bacteria in the tank that has made its way into nitrATE's...but there isnt enough to convert the ammonia to nitrITE....So I would just give the cycleing process time as it is still cycling and just keep monitoring everything...You should be doing water changes when ever you see ammonia in the water, this is for the fishy's sake...

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.