Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Are Aqueon power filters any good? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/aqueon-power-filters-any-good-52379/)

Ponyo 09-26-2010 02:57 AM

Are Aqueon power filters any good?

I have an Aqueon power filter that came as part of an aquarium kit and I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with one of those. I have my doubts about its effectiveness. Supposedly beneficial bacteria colonies grow on this plastic grid called a "bio-holster". There is a carbon filter pad that sits inside and it looks like water cascades over it, so I don't know how much good it is really doing with filtration either. The carbon insert is suposed to be changed every four weeks, but I tend to leave it in longer even though red algae collects on it and water in the tank doesn't look so great. My biggest concern is that I have yet to see a rise in Nitrate, which I know is not right after almost three months. I've also had problems with Platy stress, parasites, and death along the way.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
PH 7.4

I had a bio-wheel in my last little five-gallon. Inhabitants included a Platy, a couple White Clouds, and a bunch of tiny snails, along with coral and Java Ferns. The fishes were happy and healthy even though I was a total novice. I wonder if the bio-wheel made the difference. Maybe not, but it's always good to hear opinions on this stuff.

sharkbait23 09-26-2010 04:12 AM

I have a Aqueon Power Filter and mine runs quiet and seems to do a good job at filtering my tank. I'm with you on the whole "bio-holster" thing. I have a marineland one and I don't know how much the bio wheel actually does for the tank. But am comforted by the thought that supposedly helping with the health of the tank. But I'm yet to have any trouble with fish getting sick with the Aqueon filter.

The bacterial cycle is kind of difficult to produce and get stabilized. Check out this link maybe it will help: http://www.vafishfreek.com/ammonia.html

buzz4520 09-26-2010 06:49 AM

we run 2 aqueon 55's on my 55g african cichlid tank and i think they do a pretty good job. the water is always nice and clear. when we do water changes we'll fill a bucket with tank water to rince off the filter pads and replace them when the fiber pad looks to be matted or comming apart, usually about 8 - 10 weeks. this tank has been up and running for 2 1/2 years.

DanMarion 09-26-2010 10:52 AM

I have used Aqueon power filters in my heavily stocked 29 gallon since I first set it up months ago, and that particular tank looks nicer and cleaner than any of my others. The water is crystal clear, and I haven't had any issues with fish illness since cycling. I change the insert as soon as the water starts going into the overflow (if your water is pouring over the left side in front of the filter instead of going around the back and through it, its time to change).

Plus, they are very quiet. Huge plus!

Hope this helps.

Ponyo 09-26-2010 10:42 PM

Thank you for the input everyone. I was skeptical because it would seem a more porous surface like the one on the biowheel or even a sponge would work better. As a couple of you guys pointed out, the carbon filter insert has to be replaced now and then, so that's not much help. It sounds like beneficial bacteria colonies will eventually grow on the plastic insert, but maybe it just takes longer.

DanMarion 09-26-2010 11:43 PM

You could always toss a handful of those bioball things into the filter housing behind the insert. cheaper than a new filter.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ponyo 09-27-2010 12:42 AM

That's a great idea. Maybe bioballs or some ceramic rings would help. I am not sure if they'd slow water movement too much or not, but I'm willing to try something like that before buying a new filter for sure.

DanMarion 09-27-2010 09:24 PM

I use bioballs in my aquaclear filter in one of my other tanks, and I never noticed them slowing water flow. I only put in like 5-6 of them. Those things supposedly have a massive surface area for BB to colonize.

beachcire 09-28-2010 06:17 AM

I use an aqueon filter on my 25 gal and the water is crystal clear. The only issue I noticed was that it took a bit longer to cycle that tank than my 72 gal cichlid tank which has 2 Penguin 350's and uses the bio-wheels. I'm guessing because of the bio holster.

The aqueon is also a very quiet filter, which is good because that tank is in my bedroom.

cballas 09-28-2010 02:51 PM

I run this filter on my 10G, and it is very quiet...Some complain about the water falling noise but it's only noticed if the TV isn't on, I find it soothing. The water is very clear & so far it's been running about a month. I think it took average time to cycle.

Thanks DanM .... " I change the insert as soon as the water starts going into the overflow (if your water is pouring over the left side in front of the filter instead of going around the back and through it, its time to change). " - I wasn't aware of this, good info! :)