Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   temperature is keep rising... (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/temperature-keep-rising-52323/)

David007c 09-25-2010 02:30 PM

temperature is keep rising...

I live in an apartment and i kept the windows shut and trying to turn the AC on to cool down the room temperature but the temperature in the tank doesn't seem to go down almost at all... plz someone give me tips on dropping tank temp thanks~

beachcire 09-25-2010 02:40 PM

How big is your tank? How much are you trying to drop the temp?

I have used frozen water bottles in the past when our A/C went out but that only drops it a degree or two and is definitely not a long term solution.

badxgillen 09-25-2010 02:50 PM

huh

i am not sure about your tank but i have a couple thet i dont even heat because the lighting they have combined with closed glass tops creates enough heat for the tank and then some...even pumps contribute to the temp...Maybe thats it

aunt kymmie 09-25-2010 03:10 PM

You can also set up a fan to blow a breeze across the top of the water. That will help keep the water temp a little cooler.

David007c 09-25-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beachcire (Post 479028)
How big is your tank? How much are you trying to drop the temp?

I have used frozen water bottles in the past when our A/C went out but that only drops it a degree or two and is definitely not a long term solution.

Aquariums under my username says all you need... current temperature of the tank is 80.3F. I was thinking that 78 or 77 would be better for my tank. I like your frozen water bottle idea maybe i should try later on. Thanks~

David007c 09-25-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 479032)
i am not sure about your tank but i have a couple thet i dont even heat because the lighting they have combined with closed glass tops creates enough heat for the tank and then some...even pumps contribute to the temp...Maybe thats it

yeah... but for mine, even without power of heater and lighting the temperature stays the same or slightly increasing... I hope this doesn't end up stressing my fishes.:roll:

David007c 09-25-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 479043)
You can also set up a fan to blow a breeze across the top of the water. That will help keep the water temp a little cooler.

But, aren't most of coolers expensive to purchase??? maybe that's just my weak research. Thanks though;-)

badxgillen 09-25-2010 06:42 PM

hm

just a simple fan to help relieve the tank of stagnent heat...as long as your tank doesnt top out above 82 you should be alright...its the only cheap solution asides ice bottles and bags..sorry ...good luck...ADIOS..

aunt kymmie 09-25-2010 10:15 PM

Chillers are big bucks, yes. You can always by a cheap fan from Home Depot or similar hardware store. Good luck.