Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tinfoil barb compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tinfoil-barb-compatibility-52299/)

arunsai 09-25-2010 11:22 AM

Tinfoil barb compatibility

I currently have four Tinfoil barbs and two Zebra loaches. They seem to getting along very well.

Can you please comment on the compatibility of my tank residents with a school of -

1. Red Zebra Danios
I found a couple of charts saying this should be okay. I find this very surprising.
2. Dogtooth Cichilids
3. Tiger Barbs - I guess this one should be okay.

Many thanks!

badxgillen 09-25-2010 01:27 PM

tin foils

as you probably know tin foils get rather large 10-12 inches and are a rather active fish...asuming you have housing for them..some good tank mates are bala sharks or iridecent sharks, i have seen distacodis work as well as T barbs...pink tailed chalcius...large synadontis species, large clown loaches, geophagus species...just to name a few..keep us posted...

Byron 09-25-2010 01:44 PM

Yes, we need to know your tank size. The true Tinfoil Barb attains 14 inches and must be in a group of 6, which means at least a 200g tank. The Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb attains 8 inches, also needs a group of 6+, and will manage in a 150g tank; this species is the one often seen as "Tinfoil" in stores. Both fish are included in our fish profiles, second tab from the left in the blue bar or click on the shaded name in posts.

Tiger Barb have their own issues, also mentioned in the profile of this fish.

I would forget those "charts," they cannot possibly take into account all aspects of a fish species.

aunt kymmie 09-25-2010 02:47 PM

One more thing to add: loaches require a group of their own kind in order to be comfortable and thrive. IMHO no less than five of any one species of loach is what I consider the minimum to be when keeping these species.

Welcome to TFK! We are happy you decided to join us!

Byron 09-25-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 479000)
One more thing to add: loaches require a group of their own kind in order to be comfortable and thrive. IMHO no less than five of any one species of loach is what I consider the minimum to be when keeping these species.

Welcome to TFK! We are happy you decided to join us!

Thanks kymmie, I had overlooked the loaches:oops:.

badxgillen 09-25-2010 03:08 PM

fish

sorry ...i was just suggesting some fishes ....not there care requirments...always check out the profiles as usual...research goes a long way..

aunt kymmie 09-25-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 479003)
Thanks kymmie, I had overlooked the loaches:oops:.

Well, it's not often when you leave me something to comment on! :lol:

arunsai 09-25-2010 11:29 PM

Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Guess I should have asked this first. I have to confess I did not do any research before I got these fish. Infact I'm still not entirely sure if these are indeed Tinfoil barb. Can you please help? (Please see the video I've uploaded).

My tank is 46gallons which is realize is not big enough if these are indeed Tinfoils and end up growing to 10", but guess I'll still have them for now and move them to a bigger setup if they get bigger. I presume they wont double in size in a couple of months.

And yes, I'll get a couple of more loaches :)

aunt kymmie 09-26-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arunsai (Post 479335)
Thanks a lot for your help guys!

Guess I should have asked this first. I have to confess I did not do any research before I got these fish. Infact I'm still not entirely sure if these are indeed Tinfoil barb. Can you please help? (Please see the video I've uploaded).

My tank is 46gallons which is realize is not big enough if these are indeed Tinfoils and end up growing to 10", but guess I'll still have them for now and move them to a bigger setup if they get bigger. I presume they wont double in size in a couple of months.

And yes, I'll get a couple of more loaches :)

They look like Tinfoil barbs to me. I don't think they double in size in a few months, at least in your tank I hope they don't! Feed sparingly.

More loaches? YAY! :welldone:

arunsai 09-26-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 479520)
They look like Tinfoil barbs to me. I don't think they double in size in a few months, at least in your tank I hope they don't! Feed sparingly.

More loaches? YAY! :welldone:

Thank you. But would you be able to say which of the two species are these? ie Red Tailed Tinfoil Barb or Tinfoil Barbs? I'm hoping for the former!