Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Very bad luck with Ich treatment (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/very-bad-luck-ich-treatment-52269/)

Ponyo 09-24-2010 07:38 PM

Very bad luck with Ich treatment

I am feeling very discouraged right now and I wonder if anyone here has any advice. I started treating for Ich a couple days ago because my Platies have been scratching against ornaments and plants for a few weeks. One, in particular has clamped fins and has been hiding a lot. I tried to take the conservative route and simply focus on clean, stable water conditions (which I achieved), but the itching and reclusive behavior continued, so I finally opted to treat the tank. I added air stones and started slowly increasing heat over the last couple days. I also took out the carbon filter media and started adding a product called Ich Attack, which is supposed to be snail and plant safe, along with a very low dose of aquarium salt. The temperature rose from 75 to 81-degrees over a 48 hour period and I found one of my platies dead this morning. The other one is really subdued and I will be surprised if she makes it through the night. The whole thing has been devastating and I feel I am not destined to keep platies. They are my favorite fish, but it is heartbreaking to lose them.

Obviously, I won't increase temperature any further. I did do a water change today, but I'm not sure if I should completely stop treatment or not. If there is a parasite, I'd like to get rid of it, but don't want to lose all my fish.

Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 0 ppm
PH 7.6

I realize the nitrate reading doesn't make sense for a cycled tank, but it has been set up with fish since early July.

aunt kymmie 09-24-2010 07:59 PM

I'm sorry you're feeling discouraged, I know the feeling of dealing with sick fish and what a bummer it can be. The first thing for me to say is do not use heat and ich meds combined. You either use the heat/salt method or you go the med route. Since you already have the meds on hand I think you should slowly back your tank temp down to what it would normally be for platys and continue with your meds.
Dose with meds exactly as the package indicates. I'm not sure if you have read this article, it's my favorite go-to ich article:

The Skeptical Aquarist

Chicklet 09-24-2010 08:06 PM

You never mentioned any white sprinkling,
So, I'm wondering if you even have Ich,
It could be a parasite, But it also could be your water,
I went thru this for the longest time, Treating for everything and nothing seemed to work, It was really discouraging, and of course I was doing more of just what I should have been doing less of.
too frequent water changes, That in itself can cause "Flashing" scratching on objects,

One of the first things I do now when I see "flashing" and no other obvious symptoms is cut my water changes down on those tanks,

Romad 09-24-2010 08:28 PM

That's a great link Kym. I just read it through bc I'm battling a case of ich at the moment too.

Hang in there ponyo - i'm on day 6 of treatment and still have a few spots showing on two fish. Grrrrrrr!!!!

aunt kymmie 09-24-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 478558)
That's a great link Kym. I just read it through bc I'm battling a case of ich at the moment too.

Hang in there ponyo - i'm on day 6 of treatment and still have a few spots showing on two fish. Grrrrrrr!!!!

When I had ich it took 12 days of treatment! Medicating a 100gl for 12 days got to be very pricey.
Which fish are still showing spots? For me it was my clown loaches that I had the most difficulty with.

Interesting point that Chicklet brings up. Ponyo-Did you or are you seeing any white specks on any of your fish??

Romad 09-24-2010 08:42 PM

I only saw spots on my Boesman Rainbows and my Emperor Tetras. Maybe half a dozen on each fish. As of today, there's nothing left on the rainbows but two of my emperors still have a few on their tailfins.

The worst part is that I've run out of Kordon's and after visiting three fish stores here in NH, the best I could come up with is Jungle Labs Ick Guard. Grrrrr!!! :redmad:

Did you treat for 3 days after you saw the last of spots or did you continue treatment for longer than that?

aunt kymmie 09-24-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 478568)
The worst part is that I've run out of Kordon's and after visiting three fish stores here in NH, the best I could come up with is Jungle Labs Ick Guard. Grrrrr!!! :redmad:

Did you treat for 3 days after you saw the last of spots or did you continue treatment for longer than that?

Grrrr is right. That's exactly why I have about three bottles of the stuff on the shelf, just in case.
I treated for exactly three days after the last visible white spot was seen.

Ponyo 09-24-2010 11:24 PM

Thanks for the support from all of you guys. I have not seen white spots, but the two platies have been flashing against rocks and plants for awhile. I think a new one that I added a few weeks ago brought the parasite in. She was itchy and lethargic from day one and died within a week. Should have quarantined. After that, my other two started scratching, clamping fins, and hiding. The sun fire Platy was the worst, laying on the gravel and occasionally darting across the tank with clamped fins like she was trying to get something off of her. I did cut down on water changes as Chicklett suggested, but it made no difference.

I've decided to follow Aunt Kymmie's advice about turning the temperature slowly back down to 75 and to finish the treatment with Ich Attack. The stuff is pretty mild, so I don't even know if it really works. It smells like garlic. Apparently, it is safe for plants and snails though.

Anyway, I really appreciate the support and hearing that others are dealing with this or have gotten through this. It is such a bummer to lose a fish. I get really upset about it. I'm hoping my sun fire platy will hold on.

Ponyo 09-25-2010 06:19 PM

Very sad news. My sun fire platy died today. I am turning the thermostat down VERY slowly because I know Ich loves a fast drop in temperature. I was actually most worried about my White Clouds surviving a raise in temp, but surprisingly they did way better than the platies. I won't stress them any further though and want to finish treating with Ich Attack for another week. I really hope that stuff works. No more fish will go in this tank until there are zero signs of flashing. This whole thing has really sucked.

Romad 09-25-2010 08:36 PM

So sorry to hear that Ponyo. You did what you could but sometimes we lose them anyway :(