Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Soo many snails!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/soo-many-snails-52251/)

Jmalone 09-24-2010 04:03 PM

Soo many snails!!

all these little snails just appeared out of no where!! how do I get rid of them!?!?

Byron 09-24-2010 04:15 PM

Why would you want to?:shock:

Seriously, what type are they? Most of the small snails that arrive in our tanks via plants or wood are very beneficial. One, the Malaysian Trumpet or Livebearing Snail, is considered almost essential by many aquarists; this one burrows throughout the substrate helping to keep it from compacting.

Snails get into spots and eat detrius, algae, uneaten fish food, and decaying plant matter--all of which would otherwise foul the water and increase the biological load. If they are in excess, you are likely feeding the fish too much food.

surfnchk 09-24-2010 09:28 PM

keeping a few snails is beneficial to your tank. How many do you have? A lot of times they appear out of nowhere, they arrive on plants you buy from your LFS. If you want to get rid of a few here's a few suggestions. If you know anyone with a puffer fish let them have some. I'm not sure but I could be wrong, but the Malaysian ones (spiral cone shaped ones) are not good for puffers. Donate them to a friend or to your LFS. Some fish enjoy eating snails! :) Hope this helps

WH2O 09-24-2010 09:50 PM

If they are bladder snails, then just feed less. There numbers will reduce to a managable level. If you want to eradicate them then dont try. You will do more harm than good.

badxgillen 09-24-2010 11:40 PM

snails

if you really dont like snails ...i dont know whats in your tank but some snail remedies...assasins,and botia species..such as yoyo laoches and clown,striata,burmese boarder and the likes.....

redchigh 09-25-2010 11:44 AM

It's generally not a good idea to intruduce fish just to solve a problem...

Assassin snails might not be so bad, but assassin snails work slowly... They breed slow, and only eat about 1 snail a day. (Pond and Ramshorn can reproduce faster than that.)

I would cut down on the feeding- don't let any food touch the substrate (unless you have bottom feeders...)

You can also get a thin slice of cucumber or zuchinni, freeze it solid, and weigh it down in the tank right before lights out. In the morning, you'll have a pile of snails on it and you can throw them in the garbage or something.

Chicklet 09-25-2010 11:49 AM

Squish em against the walls, Most all my fish have grown to love them and look forward to me squishing them so they can chow down. yumm

Or as mentioned a wafer, cooked carrot chunk, cucumber slice is good bait,
Just scoop out once you see then congregating on it.

Their not called pests for no reason.

and simple cutting down on feedings may not work so well depending on what you have in your tank..
Especially if you have other bottom feeders etc your trying to feed,
They can eat the food before the fish your trying to feed gets to it,
I raise Applesnails and its kinda hard to make sure one kind gets it and not the other type.

Some pleco's can be really slow about coming out to eat, thus the wafer disappears before they even get to it,