Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Discus Wrigglers- hatched 9-22 (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/discus-wrigglers-hatched-9-22-a-52192/)

aunt kymmie 09-23-2010 01:47 PM

Discus Wrigglers- hatched 9-22

2 Attachment(s)
This are really tough to see but I had to share! The wrigglers are attached to the side of the driftwood, they are the gray "dots" that are in a cluster in front of Mom's face. They spawned on the back of the algae magnet and yesterday once the eggs hatched they moved them over to this section of driftwood. I saw the wrigglers on the back of the magnet, got all excited and went running for my camera. I came back and they were all gone. I thought to myself, "Oh well, at least this time eggs hatched. Next time maybe they'll get farther". I called my guy at the LFS to tell him and he said, "Are you sure they ate them? Alot of the times they will just move them". I walked back over to the tank and sure enough, that's what they had done. This spot is much better than the back of an algae magnet. If they get to the free swimming stage I'll be amazed.

kitten_penang 09-23-2010 02:09 PM

congrats on the babies..... XD

LisaC144 09-23-2010 02:29 PM

Great pictures, Kym!! Looks like Mom is doing her job well. I really hope they make it to free-swimming. I'd love for you to share the same experience and excitement I experienced when my Angelfish fry became free-swimming for the first time. It's just so darn cute. I still feel for your male who shoots blanks, but hopfully once he's all better he'll get the hang of it as well ;-)

aunt kymmie 09-23-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaC144 (Post 477710)
I still feel for your male who shoots blanks, but hopfully once he's all better he'll get the hang of it as well ;-)

Thanks Lisa, but I think I'm happy with him shooting blanks. Can you imagine a tank with two different pairs trying to raise babies? Yikes. I also hope they make it to free swimming. I know it'll be so exciting to watch! It so funny as I never thought this pair would be successful. When they first laid their eggs they would BOTH freely swim away from them to eat. The other pair would never do that, one was always on guard. Now that this pair has wrigglers one of them always stays with them. Only dad ate this morning, mama wasn't leaving her babies. I wonder if at lunch time he will stay and let her go eat? It's sooooo much fun! I have babies!! :-D

LisaC144 09-23-2010 02:44 PM

What I did was feed all the other fish at one end of my (6 foot ;-) ) tank, then feed mom on her own near the fry. It worked out well that way and Mom didn't have to leave her precious babies. Once mom left the babies and the other fish swam near. I yelled at them, but I believe the big threat was dad rushing over to the fry when he noticed the other fish close to them ;-) Lots of luck to you and your babies!

aunt kymmie 09-23-2010 03:44 PM

I just feed them lunch (live blackworms, yummy!) and even though I fed from both ends of the tank Dad ate but Mom never took her eyes of her babies. She looked at the pipette, saw that the worms were dangling but then she just focused all her attention back to her babies. They say Discus are good parents and I can see why. I'm loving this experience!

Romad 09-23-2010 03:47 PM

that is AMAZING. what a great experience it must be to see that live and in person.

congrats. and keep us posted. your fish are stunning btw.

aunt kymmie 09-23-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romad (Post 477743)
that is AMAZING. what a great experience it must be to see that live and in person.

congrats. and keep us posted. your fish are stunning btw.

Thank you! It is amazing and what's even more amazing is that it's a beautiful sunny day and I haven't left the house once, which is not like me at all!
I have been spending all my time gazing at the wrigglers, coming back to the laptop, going back to the wrigglers, etc. :lol:

LisaC144 09-23-2010 03:55 PM

Kym, I don't think I shared this video on the forum. I don't know why. Here's what you have to look forward to. Look how freakin' cute!!

aunt kymmie 09-23-2010 04:04 PM

Wow! Awesome vid, Lisa. How ever in the world are those parents going to be able to keep those babies all together? Mom does a great job of snagging them and spitting them right back out onto that leaf. I hope mine, at least some, make it to that free swimming stage. I like your narration. Pretty amazing stuff! We are grandmas!! :lol: