Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Memorials (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-memorials/)
-   -   RIP Tom Thumb (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-memorials/rip-tom-thumb-52085/)

MoltenFury 09-21-2010 08:45 PM

RIP Tom Thumb

Hi. I'm new here. I never had a fish before but I got a guppy in school and he died. He wuz Tom Thumb. I dont know what I did wrong, he wuz only 3 months old. I'm really sad and now I wanna new fish so I came here for advice. I dint think I would love tom that much but I did. So jus wanted to say RIP Tom an could someone tell me a good fish that wont die so soon?

Romad 09-21-2010 09:06 PM

Awwwww... I'm sorry you lost your buddy Tom Thumb. It's never easy to lose a fish and just about everyone here understands that you can get attached to them.

If you want suggestions for another fish, please let us know all about your tank setup. What size? Is it cycled? What's the PH and hardness of your tap water? Do you have a heater?

RIP Tom. :-(

MoltenFury 09-22-2010 09:55 AM

I only have a jar right now. My mom rinsed out a jar that used to have mixed nuts in it an we filled it with sink water an kept tom in there.

I wanna nother fish and my birthday is soon and my mom said i could get a real tank but it can't be too big cuz it needs to fit in my closet. Maybe like a little bowl but a real bowl and not a peanut jar.

Romad 09-22-2010 01:45 PM

You can't keep anything alive for long in a bowl or jar without constant water changes and adding conditioned water back. Water conditioner removes the harmful chlorine and chloramines from you tap water and a good conditioner like Seachem Prime will also neutralize the ammonia and nitrates in your tank for a small amount of time.

If you can only have a small tank, I would think about getting one male betta. They are singular fish and they are also beautiful and most have tons of personality. You really shouldn't get anything smaller than 2.5 gallons or you're going to be changing the water constantly. I have 6 bettas in these tanks.
Aqueon Products Mini Bow? 2.5

Check out the betta section for the sticky threads on the care and maintenance requirements for bettas and see if that sounds like a good fish for you. You can also check out craigslist and thrift stores in your area for tanks.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

dramaqueen 09-23-2010 07:54 PM

I'm so sorry about Tom Thumb. Bettas are a good fish to think about getting. They are beautiful and full of personality. Welcome to the forum! :)

jasmeena 04-06-2012 09:51 AM

goldfish live for years and can be taght tricks

eaturbyfill 06-17-2012 04:37 PM

I am sorry for your loss. I hope that the people here in the forum can help you take care of your future fish. Good luck!