Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   newbie (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/newbie-52078/)

starblazer87 09-21-2010 07:06 PM

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I got my first tank when I was about 15/16. It was a 33 gallon for the family, a year or two after I got a 90 gallon that I kept 2 bala sharks, 2 tinfoil barbs, black, redtail and rainbow shark, a few different rainbows, 2 rams, clown pleco, common pleco, and a school of harquin rasboras, priscella tetras, pencilfish. I had to give up the tank four years ago with all of my moving around.

I started to get the tanks I currently have a year and a half ago and my boyfriend wanted to get cichlids, so that is what is currently in most of our tanks. Got into marine fish about a year ago. Still know next to nothing about marine fish and the local pet stores have given very bad advice on mixing different fish and invertabraes together.

fishheads 09-21-2010 07:15 PM

I'm a newb

Any advice would be nice about the forearms. We just got a tank. It's a fifty five gallon and we want to fill it with carnivores. I'm thinking oscars, gars, fish like that. Ideally we'd like to get a separate ten gallon tank for feeder fish.

Cornelius1208 09-21-2010 07:19 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum! You should definitely post pictures of your tanks up, I'd love to see them!

starblazer87 09-21-2010 07:25 PM

I currently only have the internet on my smart phone and can't seem to load any pics from it. I will be putting pics up asap though.

starblazer87 09-21-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishheads (Post 476473)
Any advice would be nice about the forearms. We just got a tank. It's a fifty five gallon and we want to fill it with carnivores. I'm thinking oscars, gars, fish like that. Ideally we'd like to get a separate ten gallon tank for feeder fish.

I'm sorry but I have no interest in oscars and know very little about gars and a lot of the other carnivores. I just recently got my paranha about two months ago to deal with my baby convict problem and am still learning interesting things about him. Browsing this forum though it looks like their are others who can help with any questions you may have.

fishheads 09-21-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starblazer87 (Post 476494)
I'm sorry but I have no interest in oscars and know very little about gars and a lot of the other carnivores. I just recently got my paranha about two months ago to deal with my baby convict problem and am still learning interesting things about him. Browsing this forum though it looks like their are others who can help with any questions you may have.

Can you explain the baby convict problem? I've never heard of them. Is this some type of fish?

starblazer87 09-21-2010 07:40 PM

it is a type of cichlid and they seem to breed like rabbits

fishheads 09-21-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starblazer87 (Post 476505)
it is a type of cichlid and they seem to breed like rabbits

ah...thanks. This is all new to me.

Romad 09-21-2010 08:34 PM

Hi and welcome to both of you (Starblazer87 and fishheads)

It seems to be a slow night on the forum but there are plenty of cichlid and carnivore peeps here. Stay tuned :)

dramaqueen 09-21-2010 08:41 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.