Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   Crayfish acting up? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/crayfish-acting-up-51994/)

Castro235 09-20-2010 03:53 PM

Crayfish acting up?

Hey everyone, I have my little crayfish named Lobby, maybe 4.5 inches if his tail was stretched out(but probably a bit smaller) in a 10 gallon tank, the tank has a small powerhead and a little box filter, he usually just walks around, eats his food, and hides out in his cave or tube, but about a week ago I put in an HOB filter and switched from the screen cover to a normal cover.

Well, friday morning I woke up to my mother screaming that my lobster was in the kitchen, I guess he climbed out, had about a 5 foot drop to the floor, and managed to sneak out of my room and make it about 15 feet to the kitchen before ending up on his back(dunno if a cat got to him or he flipped himself)

I put him back in the tank, and he seemed to be a little sluggish at first but back to normal, but he seems alot more actively climbing lately, and I'm concerned that there might be a water issue at hand, or maybe the ten gallon tank is just feeling too cramped for him.

I only have an ammonia test, and it seems like it hasn't gone up from where it has been for the months the tank has been set up, and he is fed the same pellets, and the occasional rosy red minnow(I have a 40 gallon tank with a bunch of them, and occasionally pull a few out for him, and they usually last a few days before he swipes them, but they're not half dead ones from the store)

he's also been diggin alot more lately(I just looked over and notice a HUGE pile of dirt in one corner of the tank)

I want to buy a 20 or larger gallon tank for him with my next paycheck, but I want to get any input on if it sounds like something I should be really worried about, as I'd hate to lose him if I could avoid it.

Thanks!

kitten_penang 09-20-2010 05:32 PM

well check for hard metals in the tank.. they are sensitive to it.mmaybe do a water change add carbon if possible

Castro235 09-20-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_penang (Post 475688)
well check for hard metals in the tank.. they are sensitive to it.mmaybe do a water change add carbon if possible

I can try to get a test kit, but I highly doubt there are any metals in the tank, nothing has changed since I set it up except for that filter being added, and the tank has nothing but cleaned playsand, rocks, pvc tubing, a fake plastic plant, and the crayfish, as well as a plastic box filter with some filter floss in it.

I will do another water change when I get home tomorrow, but it seems odd, as the ammonia is the same, and I did a 50% water change about a week ago, and before that I have kept my water changes very low to less than 25% a week, so I would imagine the water might be a little cleaner now than before.

I'll have them test at the lfs for nitrates and such tomorrow, and I'll see if I can pick up a metals test kit because I don't think they test that there, just to be on the safe side.

badxgillen 09-20-2010 09:52 PM

bad

i have several crawfishes and a lobster and i would say that it is just do to space...you really cant recreate there habitat...the climbing is normal especialy at night...digging is also normal i find it amusing as some from the same species will arange there tank completly differnt from the next...go for the 20 gallon length vs width...and a tight cover they are quite poerfull for being so small....ADIOS....

Castro235 09-21-2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 475877)
i have several crawfishes and a lobster and i would say that it is just do to space...you really cant recreate there habitat...the climbing is normal especialy at night...digging is also normal i find it amusing as some from the same species will arange there tank completly differnt from the next...go for the 20 gallon length vs width...and a tight cover they are quite poerfull for being so small....ADIOS....

So with length vs width are you saying its better to have a 3 foot tank thats only a foot deep as opposed to a tank thats 2x2 feet, to make it seem like theres more room for him, or just that how deep the tank is is less important?

Also, just curious, for your lobster, how big is your tank, and have you managed to have anything live along with it, or is it just the one lobster in a nice big tank?

badxgillen 09-21-2010 01:33 AM

hm

more surface area is always more desirable as they spend littl etime in the water column...i just have a purple reef lobster now...and no not much is safe ...just most of the corals ...if he doesnt bull doze them fist...he ate my snail.hermits ,low dwelling fishes, nematodes,and probably my copapods...oh and just a 95 gallon for now...

kitten_penang 09-21-2010 09:26 AM

umm.. metals can come from the water system too.not necessarily from things in the tank =)