Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Discus Eye Injury (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/discus-eye-injury-51980/)

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 10:32 AM

Discus Eye Injury

I'm getting ready to treat one of my Discus in my QT tank due to a an eye injury. (ghastly injury, to be sure :-() My QT tank has about two dozen MTS in it for the purpose of keeping it cycled. I'll be using Furan-2 for treatment. My question is do I pull out all the MTS due to the use of the Furan-2 I'll be using? I have no idea if this particular medicine has a negative effect on snails.
To say I'm bummed about my Discus is an understatement. I woke up at 4:30am, tossing and turning, thinking about it. Crazy how one person (me) can get so attached to a fish!

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 04:58 PM

Anybody? I couldn't delay treatment any longer so my Red Turquoise is now in the QT, with the colony of MTS, being treated. If all my MTS die because of the medication I will blame all you seven people (you know who you are) who viewed this thread but didn't respond!!
J/K :jester:

Romad 09-20-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 475702)
Anybody? I couldn't delay treatment any longer so my Red Turquoise is now in the QT, with the colony of MTS, being treated. If all my MTS die because of the medication I will blame all you seven people (you know who you are) who viewed this thread but didn't respond!!
J/K :jester:

LOL. Where's the love Kym? Sorry I can't help but I hope your fish is going to be ok.

Inga 09-20-2010 07:42 PM

Sorry to hear about your fish Kymmie. I definitely know how one becomes attached. I hope this story will have a happy ending. I don't have any clue about the snails, I am new to snails myself and having an issue with mine. Keep us updated on your fish's progress... and the snails.

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm keeping my fingers crossed but it doesn't look good. (see pic below) The really sad thing is that this is the male of one of my mated pairs. Since I fished him out the display and put him into QT he's been sulking and I think the female is too. I think somewhere I read that they mate for life. I really hope he pulls through. Eye injurys are nasty. :cry: And an upbeat note, the snails don't seem to be bothered by the medication, so at least that's one good thing.

jeaninel 09-21-2010 01:25 AM

Sorry about your discus AK, I hope he pulls through.

I've used Furan 2 before but not with snails so not sure if it's safe for them or not.

Lupin 09-21-2010 04:34 AM

I wouldn't use antibiotics with other snails but your MTS may be able to withstand this. They can withstand harsh conditions and even chemicals better than anything else.

1077 09-21-2010 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lupin (Post 476009)
I wouldn't use antibiotics with other snails but your MTS may be able to withstand this. They can withstand harsh conditions and even chemicals better than anything else.

+one, If it is massive snail die off and subsequent water quality issues,, I would not stress. I have yet to see anything other than significant dose of copper that can do much harm to these particular snails.
Lord knows over the years, I have used more than a few toxic concoctions in my tanks in efforts to cure sick fishes but the trumpet snails always survived. Wish I could say the same for the fishes.
Eddy will not steer you wrong. (you know who I mean?);-)

aunt kymmie 09-21-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 476013)
+one, If it is massive snail die off and subsequent water quality issues,, I would not stress. I have yet to see anything other than significant dose of copper that can do much harm to these particular snails.
Lord knows over the years, I have used more than a few toxic concoctions in my tanks in efforts to cure sick fishes but the trumpet snails always survived. Wish I could say the same for the fishes.
Eddy will not steer you wrong. (you know who I mean?);-)

1077- Ah, how did you know it was Eddy?? ;-)
Have you ever seen such a bad eye injury? In your years of keeping Discus did you ever have to treat for something of this nature?
I'm prepared for the fact that he may lose his eye, so long as I can save his life. I checked on him this morning and instead of sitting on the bottom he's now mid tank chilling. His eye doesn't look any better but it doesn't look any worse either. Hopefully this means it's an improvement. The snails, in the meantime, are all over the tank acting as if the water is the same today as it was last week.

eileen 09-21-2010 12:36 PM

Your poor Discus. I would have thought that Pimafix & Melafix together from API would have been good to treat the eye as it has aloe vera and tea tree oil. As long as he is eating that's a good sign. Keep us posted on his recovery.

Not to change the subject. I had a baby hamster that got injured in the eye by one of the other baby hamsters and I knew the eye was gone as it turned white. I did not want to take it to the vet and get charged $$$ for the injury. I looked on-line and found someone had the same thing happen and put hydrogen peroxide with a q-tip to dry it up. I did this and used the fish amoxicillin mixed with water and fed with a syringe dropper to the hamster daily. The eye dried up and I had to cut it out as it was hanging. I know this is gross but I had to do it. He was good as new minus the eye. I had to keep this baby as my daughter did not think that someone would want to get a hamster with 1 eye. I was able to get the other babies new home. This hamster lived over 2 years which is their life span. I googled for help on-line and it saved my poor hamster. If I could not find help on-line I would have taken it to the vet.