Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   Deceased Dalmation Molly. Why? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/deceased-dalmation-molly-why-51926/)

doppsterjr 09-19-2010 03:24 PM

Deceased Dalmation Molly. Why?

on friday, I noticed my molly was acting strange and I don't know why. he was laying on the bottom of the tank with his fins tucked in and not moving. The next morning he was dead. =/ The same thing happened to my honey gourami a couple weeks ago. No idea why. Please help.

Size: 20 gallon
Temp: 78 F
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Fish in tank:
1 - Platy
1 - danio (I know.. I need more)
1 - Guppy
1 - Honey Gourami
5 - cherry barbs
1 - oto (I know.. I need more)

Tanks been running for 2 months. Was cycled with fish 3 weeks after set up. Didn't lose any fish during the cycle. The now deceased molly, Guppy,danio, and oto was transferred from previous 2g tank. It also is sparsely planted right now.

I feed Tetra Min and Tetra Color, along with blood worms once a week.

The only thing going into the water is water conditioner.
I do a water change once a week of 25%, even though ammonia/nitrites remain at 0 and nitrates at 5-10ppm.

I'm hoping by finding out what was wrong i can prevent it for other fish. He also wasn't very competitive for food. I don't know if this would play a factor.

kitten_penang 09-20-2010 04:26 PM

try adding more plants, zeolites and active carbon.

doppsterjr 09-20-2010 08:17 PM

I thought active carbon was bad for the live plants...
Posted via Mobile Device

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doppsterjr (Post 475851)
I thought active carbon was bad for the live plants...
Posted via Mobile Device

It is, it sucks the nutrients out of the water that the plants need. I don't use carbon on any of my tanks.

eileen 09-20-2010 09:08 PM

Kymmie,I use carbon on all my tanks. Should I stop putting the Black activated carbon in my floss. I bought some filter cartridges for my 55 and my 6 gal. but I make a a pad with quilt batting for my other tanks and add the carbon to that about 2 TBS. Well if I do not need to add the carbon then that will again save me alot of money over time. I have a bio-sponge in the front of all my hang on back filters.

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eileen (Post 475886)
Kymmie,I use carbon on all my tanks. Should I stop putting the Black activated carbon in my floss. I bought some filter cartridges for my 55 and my 6 gal. but I make a a pad with quilt batting for my other tanks and add the carbon to that about 2 TBS. Well if I do not need to add the carbon then that will again save me alot of money over time. I have a bio-sponge in the front of all my hang on back filters.

I've never used it as I've always had planted tanks and everything I've ever heard and read says the carbon sucks up what the plants need.

Now, back to doppsterjr's problem...I'm stumped. What water conditioner are you using and what's the PH of your tank?