Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   root tab problems.. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/root-tab-problems-51919/)

lostperspective 09-19-2010 03:22 PM

root tab problems..

yesterday I bought some root tabs and put one under a plant which hadn't been doing very well - I also put some new plants in & the water got quite cloudy for a few hours.
Today for some reason I decided the plants needed to be moved around again & I kind of managed to disturb the tab which by now had dissolved into a dark brown/black muck.. I scooped as much of it out as I could but the water is now really quite cloudy & full of the stuff.. I did a small water change but that didn't make much of a difference.. will is eventually settle or do I need to do a bigger water change tomorrow to try and get rid of the stuff?
Presumably this is going to cause huge algae problems too. .-.
&& what about the fish? Is this going to have an effect on them or will they be ok?

aunt kymmie 09-19-2010 03:46 PM

I've had that happen before. I decided I didn't like where something was planted, pulled it up and realized I had put a root tab under it awhile back and instant "yuckiness" hit the water. I, like you, pulled as much of it out of the water as I could. The water was cloudy for awhile but eventually settled back down. It had no ill effect on my fish nor did I experience any type of algae outbreak because of it. I would expect the same for you.

redchigh 09-19-2010 04:22 PM

Shouldn't affect the fish at all. Just let it settle...

You don't use an undergravel filter, do you?

lostperspective 09-19-2010 04:31 PM

No under gravel filter. =)
It's good that the fish should be ok! I'm getting quite attached to them. =') I'll do a big water change tomorrow anyway.

Thank you very much!

Byron 09-20-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 474813)
I've had that happen before. I decided I didn't like where something was planted, pulled it up and realized I had put a root tab under it awhile back and instant "yuckiness" hit the water. I, like you, pulled as much of it out of the water as I could. The water was cloudy for awhile but eventually settled back down. It had no ill effect on my fish nor did I experience any type of algae outbreak because of it. I would expect the same for you.

This is interesting kymmie. What brand of tabs do this? Flourish?

I do not have this issue with the Nutrafin Plant-Gro sticks, nor did I when years ago I used some German cones (forgotten the make, haven't seen them here recently, they came in a green and yellow box and looked like cones). They would still be there, a bit smaller after several months, but still solid.

My sticks have all expired (they last one year) and I've been thinking of trying the tabs to see any difference, but if this is what they do, maybe I should stay with the sticks.

aunt kymmie 09-20-2010 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Byron (Post 475556)
This is interesting kymmie. What brand of tabs do this? Flourish?

I can always count on you to pick up the intricacies of a post! The tabs that did this were the API brand. I thought I was being smart by saving a few bucks buying those instead of the Seachem Flourish tabs. Wrong! API tabs turn into a brown muddy yucky stinky ball but Seachem's do not. Needless to say, you get what you pay for and I no longer use the API tabs, only the Seachem tabs. ;-)

Byron 09-20-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 475564)
I can always count on you to pick up the intricacies of a post! The tabs that did this were the API brand. I thought I was being smart by saving a few bucks buying those instead of the Seachem Flourish tabs. Wrong! API tabs turn into a brown muddy yucky stinky ball but Seachem's do not. Needless to say, you get what you pay for and I no longer use the API tabs, only the Seachem tabs. ;-)

Good, thanks. I may give Flourish tabs a try then. B.

kitten_penang 09-20-2010 03:49 PM

i've used those cones before... but that was like years ago

SinCrisis 09-20-2010 05:20 PM

The jungle tabs also turn to goo after u place them. I think some do it intentionally since on the box it says that one tab will fertilize x amount of space, it needs to dissolve so it can spread?

lostperspective 09-23-2010 04:07 PM

I think I might be switching to Nutrafin Plant Gro sticks once my root tabs have run out. =) They seem to be about the same price but I couldn't tell when they expire so. .-.

I think the sponge in my filter picked up pretty much all of the root tab gunk since it turned the water very dark when I was cleaning it. (in old tank water of course! ;D)