Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Can Ramshorn Snails and Mystery snails mate?

17K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fishexpert 
#1 ·
I mean the itty bitty ramshorn snails that pretty much every tank has, and I mean the standard golden mystery snail.

From what I gather on the internet, the answer is an obvious no. But I've noticed when vacuuming my tank that I have empty shells that are much bigger than the ramshorn snails. I thought they might be baby mystery snails, but with the sheer number, at least one would have grown to full size by now.

I've finally seen one walking around, and its body looks like the ramshorn snail. The shell is white, and the body is slightly lighter and more translucent.

#2 ·
I don't think so. Some snails may have grown far too big for the average size probably because they are getting enough food supply compared to the rest.;)

#4 ·
Are you sure that you have ramshorns? It sounds like common pond snails to me. My ramshorns get up to the size of a nickel so I was just curious.

As for breeding together, no way. Mysteries lay their eggs well above the waterline and will actually eat the ponds snails.

The picture shows ramshorns and mystery snails. THe mysteries are small as they are babies but some of the ramshorns are a good 1/2 inch if not larger. The largest common pond snails i have seen were only 1/4 inch long and no larger than a pencil lead.

#5 ·
Actually I came onto the internet for research. Apparently they can? Another person in my Facebook group showed me and I believe this is definitely an interbreed. I asked them to ship me one and they said they’ll think about it!!

this is their image!! Definitely looks like a mix to me. You guys tell me though

#6 ·
Not a mix, I have been if the fish breeding business for over 20 years I often breed snails to sell and or clean my fish tanks because it is just a hobby and I can't spend all day cleaning the tanks. I have got to snails that look like this and it Is just a variation of the DNA often in only 1 batch of snails you will get 4-5 if these. In fact while they look rare they'd actually sell for less because they don't have near perfect DNA and it has to be near flawless to sell for More.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.