Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   My (kinda) Fishless Cocktail Shrimp Cycle With a 3G (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-kinda-fishless-cocktail-shrimp-cycle-51616/)

cballas 09-14-2010 09:06 PM

My (kinda) Fishless Cocktail Shrimp Cycle With a 3G

Hope this helps others who are wanting to fishless cycle using a cocktail shrimp....

Tank: 3G Marineland Eclipse Kit w/ stock filter & light, (1) 5 inch tall grass type plant (forgot exact name), medium sized gravel. Previously, it did have 2 danios in it for about 3 weeks.
Same filter used, did not wash filter or media.

Water: Emptied the previous water once danios were removed. Replaced with tap water treated w/ Nutrafin Tap Conditioner. Used a gravel vac to remove left over big food particles.

Temp: Temp about 78-80. The light really heats it up. My homes A/C runs at 74-75 almost constantly. Acrylic really insulates better than glass.

Sept 8 - Put in about 1/3 a cocktail shrimp in a cut off panty hose so it would not make as much a mess.

Sept 13 - Ammonia 0 (on API test & Seachem stick on indicator), Nitrites off the charts, didn't test Nitrates yet.

The water definitely smells more "natural" &"oceany" than when it had ammonia traces in it... And the shrimp doesn't stink at all, this tank is in my bedroom, so I would know if it ever did in this process. lol :shock:

More to come....:-)

Romad 09-14-2010 09:09 PM

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Keep us posted.

(wish I'd known about the shrimp trick before i went fishless in my 45 gallon).

cballas 09-14-2010 09:18 PM

Me too!! lol ... id be done by now...*sigh* Come on mother nature, let's kick it up a notch as Emerill Lagase would say!

My danios adopter fell through so now they are stuck in a cycling 10 gallon. Sorry lil guys!! :oops:

cballas 09-16-2010 05:02 PM

Update :)

8/16 - Ammonia @ 0, Nitrites@ 0 too :-) Can I move some snails to it now?

Romad 09-16-2010 06:46 PM

Whoo Hoo!!

I can't help with the snails. I don't have any myself altho. I've been thinking about getting some in the near future.

redchigh 09-16-2010 06:52 PM

Hate to tell you this, you could have cycled with the snails in (Assuming they are 'pest' snails).

Make sure you have a reading for nitrates... If so, you can remove the shrimp, do a 20% wc, and put in a fish (whatever you want in the tank along with the snails.) (Snails have a negligable bioload)

What do you want to stock it with? It's too small for danios... Try spotted rasboras or ember tetras... RCS also work well, or a Betta, or a ADF.... the list goes on.

cballas 09-17-2010 02:38 PM

Red - Ok it started to stink finally so I took the shrimp out...I'm testing nitrates tonight (someone moved my test kit lol) & for stocking, a female betta + mystery snail + java plant if the nitrates show up. Hurray!

kitten_penang 09-17-2010 03:10 PM

now can we have pics pls =)

cballas 09-17-2010 03:49 PM

:) Nitrate Result Image

2 Attachment(s)
3G is not much to look at right now....What color Betta should I get?!
Also attached the results of the Nitrate test, it looks like 10 to me...