Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Aquarium Products Reviews (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/)
-   -   Rookie and feeder question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/aquarium-products-reviews/rookie-feeder-question-51582/)

FWFeecherman 09-14-2010 03:57 PM

Rookie and feeder question

Hello! New to the forum and wanted to ask a question. I recently set up a tank for my elderly mother. The tank was a gift. Its a 75 gallon tank with a BioFilter system. I believe that is what it is called. I set it all up and have it running very nicely. My mother loves fancy goldfish so I have some of them in the tank. Unfortunately, my mother is disabled and is not able to physically feed the fish. I do this for her, but sometimes work takes me out of town. I was wondering if the automatic feeders I see on the market are any good? Do you guys have any suggestions or comments about these? Thanks and have a good one!

redchigh 09-14-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FWFeecherman (Post 471347)
Hello! New to the forum and wanted to ask a question. I recently set up a tank for my elderly mother. The tank was a gift. Its a 75 gallon tank with a BioFilter system. I believe that is what it is called. I set it all up and have it running very nicely. My mother loves fancy goldfish so I have some of them in the tank. Unfortunately, my mother is disabled and is not able to physically feed the fish. I do this for her, but sometimes work takes me out of town. I was wondering if the automatic feeders I see on the market are any good? Do you guys have any suggestions or comments about these? Thanks and have a good one!

Many of them are. I would say you generally get what you pay for...
Also, try to watch it for a couple days and make sure it works properly...

aunt kymmie 09-14-2010 05:53 PM

Welcome to TFK, FWFeecherman. You are a total sweetheart to set up a tank for your mom. Being disabled I'm sure she doesn't get out much and having fish to watch is a treat.
+1 to redchigh's advice.
I've never had to use one since I'm always home but hopefully someone will come along who can make a recommendation on a model/brand.

bearwithfish 09-14-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redchigh (Post 471356)
Many of them are. I would say you generally get what you pay for...
Also, try to watch it for a couple days and make sure it works properly...

+1 you get what you pay for.... unless you order on line ten you can get some really good deals (never be afraid to read reviews of a product)

Romad 09-14-2010 09:01 PM

What a great gift!!

I can't add any input for the feeders but just wanted to say hello and welcome.

FWFeecherman 09-17-2010 09:41 PM

Thanks gang. I'll let you know what I come up with and how it performs. Have a good one!