Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hey guys New to SW in Ga (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/hey-guys-new-sw-ga-51531/)

PFCDeitz 09-13-2010 07:20 PM

Hey guys New to SW in Ga

Hey everyone my name is Kris I recently just got out of the Army i was a Military Police officer!

I am a 22 old male and i live at home with my Gf and Parents.

I found this site by looking for answers to my questions! so here they are

I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank. When i grew up my parents had a Huge 300 gallon SW tank. I loved it but they sadly stopped. Still got the tank but empty.

What i need/want to know is what really do i need to start a small Sw tank.

What i have
29 gallon tank
Top fin 20 Filter i believe it is.
18" light with canopy ( i got a florescent light for the tank but i gotta find the box with the name)
50 LB of instant Ocean mix
Prime Chemical
Thats all!

As of right now im trying to find homes for my freshwater fish and plants.

So can anyone tell me what else i need and how to start this? thanks again

Kris

Romad 09-13-2010 08:32 PM

Hi Kris,

Welcome to the forum. More importantly - thank you for your service to our country. You guys rock!!

Can't help you with your salty questions but there are pleny of folks here who can. Just wanted to say hey and thanks :)

PFCDeitz 09-13-2010 08:56 PM

Hey it was my pleasure to do so!

aunt kymmie 09-13-2010 09:40 PM

Hi Kris, welcome to TFK! Like Romad, I have no experience with the S/W side of things. Until someone comes along who knows the answers to your questions there are good stickys and threads under the S/W portion of our forum to read that may answer alot of your questions.
We're glad you decided to join us!

fish joey 09-14-2010 07:56 AM

Also... Thank You for your service.... I am new here( about a month) I have fresh water fish at this time ......I am sooo in love with saltwater fish the colors ohhlaa lla....But if the salty peeps are as good as the fresh ones you have found a great site good luck!!!:lol:

willow 09-14-2010 04:35 PM

hello and welcome. :)

PFCDeitz 09-17-2010 12:14 AM

Thanks everyone! does anyone know who i can talk to about saltwater?

badxgillen 09-17-2010 01:04 AM

hey

salt huh...you will need a hygrometer or refractometer to mesure salt specific gravity...at least a basic test kit including amonia, nitrite ,PH, nitrate....a reliable heater ...a power head always helps...live rock and sand to jump start the whole setup....and thats the basics ...then you have to decide if you want just fish , fish with live rock , or full on corals......well keep us posted...ADIOS.....

badxgillen 09-17-2010 01:05 AM

oh yeah

i almost forgot welcome...the people here are very friendly and informative...ask as many questions as needed just post the thread in the apropriate column and your good to go...ADIOS....

pretzelsz 09-17-2010 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badxgillen (Post 472903)
salt huh...you will need a hygrometer or refractometer to mesure salt specific gravity...at least a basic test kit including amonia, nitrite ,PH, nitrate....a reliable heater ...a power head always helps...live rock and sand to jump start the whole setup....and thats the basics ...then you have to decide if you want just fish , fish with live rock , or full on corals......well keep us posted...ADIOS.....

First of all welcome! now badxgillen isn't wrong just not 100% right. You will need a refractometer or hydrometer. you'll need ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, Ph, calcium, and alkalinity. If you want to maintain an easy to care for tank you will need Live Rock(1-2lb a gallon and costs $10 a lb) now don't be discouraged by that you can buy base rock from marco-rocks I got 55lb od dry rock from them and it was very nice. You'll also need live sand and you'll need 1"-2" or for a deep sand bed 4" - 6". You'll also need a protein skimmer whether it is a hang on or in sump(Check out SW articles on the forum for more info about everything). You'll most importantly(with the rock) need At LEAST 7000k light system with Daylight and actinic bulbs. There is an article on everything you need to know I will link them below.

Here is the link to the place to find all of them.
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/saltwater-articles/ You'll really need to read all but the selecting fish but eventually you will need to. Just wait for a more expierienced member to come in I don't even have a tank set up(low budget this hobby cost a ton of cash but I will be setting up soon).

Welcome thank-you for your service!