Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Livebearers (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/)
-   -   Killing them with Kindness (guppies) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/livebearers/killing-them-kindness-guppies-51476/)

Chicklet 09-12-2010 08:43 PM

Killing them with Kindness (guppies)

Very interesting article worth reading
Fancy Guppies uk -

eileen 09-16-2010 01:00 PM

Wow! Thanks for posting that nice article a bit long. Good advice. I remember as a kid having a 15 gal. tank and we never did water changes to that tank. I remember cleaning it out maybe once a year. It had the kind of hang on back filter with the cotton fiber white floss and you would just change that once a month and put the carbon on the bottom. I remember having good community fish like guppies, angelfish, tetras without any major problems. The article makes sense as this is the same with children brought up without pets and and being exposed to other household stuff like dust. The children suffered allergies and all kinds of stuff.So as the article stated why not fish.

I have a unfiltered tub pond that I started over the summer and posted on this forum in ponds. It's amazing how the fish are all doing good in that pond. No water changes just the plants that I have inside and adding water for evaporation.Big tempature changes from night to day. I have had more endler fry born in that pond then in my tanks. They are bigger and seem really happy in that pond which happens to be a plant pot of 15 gal. without a hole on the bottom .I bought this at Walmart for under $15. I since replaced the endlers with some of my Bumblebee plaies as I do not think my endlers will survive the fall/winter months. I will be leaving some platies in over the fall/winter. I have not even fed them for several months and they are doing great. They eat bugs and algae from the pond. I also noticed that their colors are a brighter color. Check out the article on Pond Unfiltered tub pond.

I have had issues with angelfish and I contacted Steve from Angelfish plus. He told me to feed fish in QT (new fish) immune booster flakes for a coulple of weeks and them use the de-wormer flakes a week after. I do this for every new fish I get now. Angelfish is a good place to get these medicated flake food from Steve. He is so helpful as I had problems with my angelfish dieing and getting sick right after I had them for a few months. I just wanted to QT them and asked Steve what to do in case I got new fish. This might help others that do not want to introduce new fish to their tanks. In the long run it will be good to ad them later after the 2 week medicated flake treatment to be safe.

I may cut back on my water changes to my 55 gal. tank. I did twice a week of 25% as I had 2 Wild Columbian Rams in that tank and was told they are fussy about water. One of them died and I only have 1. I have only 14 fish in that big tank. I have a bio/filter and rotate the catridges only replace the one in the back with a new cartridge and move the one in back forward.This uses 4 cartridges. This save money and the bio is still in the pad. I never do water changes and filter pad change on the same day. I do once a month filter changes at the beginning of every month. I feed once a day and sometimes skip a day. So far I have a healthy tank. I took out my uv/clearafyer as the uv light was expensive to replace and lasted less then 1 yr. I was told it was a waste of money from someone in my fish club.

We sure can learn alot by that article and it does make sense.Keep the stronger fry and get rid of the weak ones you will get a nice group of strong healthy fish.Thanks again for posting that long but good article.

Marginatus 09-18-2010 05:30 PM

WOW! This has just validated all the things that I've discovered since I started my attempt to breed my own strain of Guppy. I found that they didn't seem to be anywhere near as tough as I remember when I kept them as a child. I've decided to take a 'treat them mean keep them keen' approach and although I'm getting high fry mortality rates I'm also discovering some very tough individuals, one red female in particular that has had several large broods and is very strong, vibrant and healthy. I'm getting as near to natural selection as it's possible to get, only later will I concentrate on aesthetics, first I have to establish a healthy genetic base and it seems to be going well at the moment. It's nice to know that similar methods are working for others.

Inga 09-18-2010 06:17 PM

Very interesting. I don't intend to become a Guppy breeder but that is worth the read. Thanks for posting it. I think just like in the human world of too much antibiotics. We have gotten too clean, so to speak in many aspects and our immune systems are paying a heavy price. Apparently, so are the fish.

1077 09-19-2010 01:19 AM

Read the text by the author and noted that fry were kept temporarily in crowded tanks which can work temporarily ,,when fish are tiny.
Noted that green water,plants ,and algae, all no doubt rich with infusoria (good food for fry of all fishes) was present in all tanks.
Noted aeration suggested for tanks with such growth ,for said growth of algae and mulm . would use up oxygen that nitrifying bacteria need to survive.
Author feels that guppys should be able to handle wide range of pH,temp,and hardness and while this would be desireable,,, the fact remains that the majority don't tolerate wide range of afore mentioned parameters.
If it is strong healthy fish one is after, I would agree, and suggest,, that persons locate a breeder of these fish as opposed to purchasing from most fish stores.
It is unclear to me how many fishes the author may or may not have lost ,but I would expect quite a few were lost while developing possible stronger strain.
Would still stand by the recommended water parameters that most recent literature suggests for guppies as well as other livebearer's for the average hobbyist until such time as some of these stronger strains are made more available. IMHO

Marginatus 09-19-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1077 (Post 474406)
Read the text by the author and noted that fry were kept temporarily in crowded tanks which can work temporarily ,,when fish are tiny.
Noted that green water,plants ,and algae, all no doubt rich with infusoria (good food for fry of all fishes) was present in all tanks.
Noted aeration suggested for tanks with such growth ,for said growth of algae and mulm . would use up oxygen that nitrifying bacteria need to survive.
Author feels that guppys should be able to handle wide range of pH,temp,and hardness and while this would be desireable,,, the fact remains that the majority don't tolerate wide range of afore mentioned parameters.
If it is strong healthy fish one is after, I would agree, and suggest,, that persons locate a breeder of these fish as opposed to purchasing from most fish stores.
It is unclear to me how many fishes the author may or may not have lost ,but I would expect quite a few were lost while developing possible stronger strain.
Would still stand by the recommended water parameters that most recent literature suggests for guppies as well as other livebearer's for the average hobbyist until such time as some of these stronger strains are made more available. IMHO

Whilst I agree that careful monitoring of water parameters etc is important for the fish keeper it may be detrimental to the breeder if what they're trying to produce is hardy Fish. As a hobby breeder I've experienced mortality rates that most wouldn't tolerate but through hybridisation and by not worrying too much about regular water changes and water parameters (that I used to when I bred Angels) the current generation seem to be far hardier than the ones I started out with and are almost living up to their reputation as the hardiest of all tropicals that I think has been lost over the years.