Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   which are the fastest growing, easy plants? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/fastest-growing-easy-plants-51461/)

Inga 09-12-2010 06:05 PM

which are the fastest growing, easy plants?

Hi all, which plants have you found to be the fastest growing and easiest to grow in your tank? I am thinking of adding a few more plants and want something that can fill in the holes quickly and will use up some extra nutrients in the tank. Obviously it would be nice if it was a nice looking plant. What are all of your thoughts and opinions?

aunt kymmie 09-12-2010 06:33 PM

In my tanks without a doubt that would be Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Angustifolia’. It grows like a weed, is easy to prune and can fill up dead spots along the back of a tank wall in no time. You can prune it "hard" and it'll get really compact and bushy, or lightly prune it and it will look graceful moving in the tank's current. I bought mine here:

Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Angustifolia’

tanker 09-12-2010 09:11 PM

The ambulia has grown very quickly.

Angel079 09-12-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aunt kymmie (Post 470082)
Hygrophila corymbosa ‘Angustifolia’

+1
And also at the same rate if not quicker would be Pennywort.

Shoot me a PM if you need large plants of either one of them 2 :-D cause I have PLENTY since I took my 45g down and split plants up among the other tanks.

Russell 09-12-2010 11:06 PM

Anacharis is prolificly fast and uses alot of nutrients. Under good lighting and fertilization its actually pretty thick although when commercially raised its often a little thin from the store. I use it as a floating plant in my ten gallon to dim the light for my java fern and out compete the algae. I see around 1-2 inches of growth a week using 26 watts of CFL 6500k lighting and flourish comprehensive once a week. So nothing impressive about my set-up and where I am at anacharis is about the cheapest plant you can buy. Only disclaimer mine melted down on me when I first got it. All the new growth was dense and rich green but all the old growth disintegrated. I hadn't heard that anacharis was prone to this so it may have been the switch to better lighting and floating was too much for it.

samuelpayne96 04-11-2011 08:17 PM

Message on another forum

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 470252)
+1
And also at the same rate if not quicker would be Pennywort.

Shoot me a PM if you need large plants of either one of them 2 :-D cause I have PLENTY since I took my 45g down and split plants up among the other tanks.

Hey, I noticed you said you were giving away aquarium plants and I am starting to grow some so if they're still available do you mind sending me some through the post? Thanks :)

SinCrisis 04-12-2011 10:08 AM

water sprite. started with a 10inch stem, in 3 months, ive tossed out whole plants twice the size of that one and still have many sitting in the tank. Most ridiculous plant i have ever owned. Needs trimming every week or 2.

BradSD 04-13-2011 07:53 AM

My vote goes to the Pennywort and it is pretty to boot.

BradSD 04-13-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelpayne96 (Post 645719)
Hey, I noticed you said you were giving away aquarium plants and I am starting to grow some so if they're still available do you mind sending me some through the post? Thanks :)

Oh forgot to mention that I purchased mine from Angel months ago, still have them and doing good, I recommend her plants.

redchigh 04-14-2011 10:56 AM

Pennywort, Ludqigea Repens, stargrass, and cabomba (green) are the fastest growers for me.